17 | one last gesture

Start from the beginning

"Yes, Mother?"

"My dear, Laura. It's been so long since we talked!"

"You want something, what is it?"

"That's not the way you should be greeting your Mother."

"Sorry I-."

"Forget it. I just want you to know your Father and I are hosting another dinner this Sunday and you must be there. Your driver will take you when the time comes."

"Oh. Who are you inviting this time?"

"I'm sure you'll be quite pleased, actually. I've arranged to have Mrs. and Mr. Kennith over! You must be aware that Reece is attending your school, no? You must be so happy that you two are back together."

"What-."

"Don't interrupt me. And you remember James from the last dinner? His family will be coming too! Oh, and how could I forget. We met a lovely family the other day we'll be doing some business deals with, Mr. and Mrs. Gaimi. I think you might already know her daughter though."

"That's... nice."

"I know! So you'll have some friends to make everything more comfortable for you. Since you were awfully quiet at the last dinner, unfortunately. Anywho you'll be driven over to the house early as per usual where you will be dressed and whatnot."

"Okay."

"Oh, and one last thing, Laura!"

"Yes?"

"I do hope you aren't getting involved with that Reece boy anymore. It would be better if you left your past, in the past. And plus, you and James would make a wonderful couple, we've been talking to his parents quite a lot about it."

"Mother, I-."

"You know what's best. So do it."

And then she hung up. Just like that. What I couldn't believe was that not only had she reconnected with and befriended Reece's parents, who she hated previously, but Savien's parents too. I mean, I somewhat expected them to branch out of their own little social hole that included one other rich preppy family they met years ago. And I shouldn't be surprised when you're as rich as the families who send their kids to Redwood, you seem to think the only people worthy of your time are other families who've done the same.

Everyone knows everyone in this world. And if you don't know them you've heard of them.

Arriving to the school, I decided it would be best if I just forgot about the dinner until the time came. I didn't need extra stress and annoyance piled on top of everything else I was feeling.

Tao didn't show up to the first period. And Zia didn't show up to art class either. But I'd see a glimpse of them in the hallway, and I saw them outside when I first showed up to class. I basically gave them a death stare as they tried to ignore my gaze. 

The amount of self-control I have is astounding. The way I stopped myself from going over there and snapping the heel off of Brandy's Dior shoes even surprised me.