Chapter 8

Jiang Cheng:-

Past-

"Mister Jiang?" I heard someone calling me, I turned around to see the older Lan was calling me out and remembering what I had felt this morning, I wanted to run away but I couldn't.

"Yes, Senior Xichen?" I said, as calmly I could.

"The idea of adding Parsley to the dish was an absolute genius move." He said, with a smile which washed away all of my worries.

"Thank you, it's an honour, coming from you Senior Xichen." I said, trying not look into his garnet eyes.

"But it seems you're not quite confident about your cooking style, isn't it?" He asked the question which I absolutely did not want to answer but as soon as my head shot up, I saw there was no smile on his face. His gentle voice was now heavy and serious, even the air around him seemed heavy. A lump in my throat was starting to develop and I couldn't speak for a minute.

"That's-" finally when I had the courage to speak I was cut off.

"That's not it? But then you won't be fidgeting while your brother cooked." He stated the facts that I did not want to face out loud.

"I can help you." His voice almost too gentle.

"What?" My eyes finally met his, which seemed to give away almost everything.

"I know you have a lot of questions Mr. Jiang Cheng and if you want them answered, meet me in the sixth kitchen after school." He said and left before I could say anything.

"Jiang Cheng!" I head Wei Wuxian calling me "are you coming or not? It's gastronomy next period."

"I am coming" I walked back to him and continued to go on about my day.

As budding chefs and leaders from all over the country who would continue to work in the food and health industry later on, our classes were mostly practical. At some point, Wei Ying and I went on about in different classes because of our chosen cuisines. Despite it being a hectic day of cooking all day long, I couldn't get out what Xichen said to me in the morning.

Will he really wait for me there?

No he can't be.

He doesn't have enough time to spare for someone like me.

I don't need his help

Such thoughts kept on occupying my mind and before I knew it, it was after school and I was standing in front of the sixth kitchen. This school was a haven for every culinary arts student because not only it gave us on hand training how an actual kitchen works but also gave us the liberty to hone our skills while being in the campus. One would be an idiot to not take advantage of all the facilities they provided. While cooking labs were used for official classes, kitchens were used for free practice and knowing Lan Xichen, nephew of Lan Qiren, he will definitely make sure that we were alone in the huge kitchen.

And I was right.

I stepped into the kitchen to see Xichen sitting there, one leg suspended over another. He looked handsome in his crisp black and white formal uniform while I looked like an absolute mess. His features were sharp but gentle, true to the rumours, it seemed like he was carved out of the jade itself. While his brother was the stone cold beauty, the older Lan was definitely the sunshine, gentler and kinder version.

"Welcome, I thought you wouldn't come. I am glad that you did." He said, breaking my chain of thoughts.

"Senior Xichen, are you sure you have the time to spare for helping someone like me?" I said, it almost hurt when I reached the "someone like me" part. For once, I wished, I didn't have to say that. After a really long time, I felt ashamed of being this helpless.

"Just call me Xichen and you're not "someone like me" kind of person, not to me atleast. I am not sure about others. You have the talent, you have the mindset but what you don't have is the right execution. You have been hidden in your brother's shadow for so long that you're scared of stepping and being told you're not good enough. I am here to change your reputation in your own eyes so that in future, you never have to feel that way again."

There it was, that look. His garnet eyes burned holes in my body and soul it seemed and I felt a sharp sting. Just like this morning.

Present:

Again, a nostalgic dream or rather a memory, played like some kind of documentary.

I felt the sharp rays on my face.

"Ugh. I should change these thin-ass curtains, they're good for nothing."

I tried to get some more sleep but then my alarm went off, I wanted to throw my phone away and sleep for what felt like an eternity but I couldn't. It was my parents memorial service today and I cannot take it lightly. I threw the comforter away and stood up, lit a cigarette and called on a maid to get some tea for me. This place was now filled with the Jins because Jiang group has been going through tough period for the past 5 years and it wasn't what it used to be.

"Master Jiang, I have come to deliver your tea and breakfast."

Breakfast? I didn't ask for breakfast.

"Madam Jiang asked me to deliver this to you."

That explains it.

"Come in."

Two maids came in wearing yellow robes and their hair pur up in intricate styles with hair pins holding it all. Even if these ladies looked absolutely gorgeous, I have always thought that how in front of Lan Xichen, women couldn't even hold a candle. He had exceptionally beautiful features which enticed everyone, even me.

"Young Master, may I come in?" Came a voice from the other side of the door.

"Yes." I replied without giving it second thought.

"Young Master, I have prepared your robes for the memorial today." Said the man.

"Uncle Lin, it has been a while." I said.

Uncle Lin was the only one who still worked in the Jiang household, he always took care of me and Wei Wuxian ever since I was born and Wei Wuxian was adopted. 

"Indeed Young master." He said and gave me a smile before leaving.

I took a quick shower and took some time to dry my hair and properly style it, after tampering with my hair for 15 minutes I was finally satisfied. I walked upto the clothes hanging near the dressing table to slip into the velvety robes, it was soft and light but was a cloth that was often hard to handle. Thankfully, my sister made sure that it was tailored according to my taste and that helped me fit into the robes without loosing my temper first thing in the morning.

I walked out of the room to wake Wei Wuxian up but as I walked towards his room, I saw him coming towards my room, all dressed up.

"Jiang Cheng, you're ready?" He asked.

"Yeah, let's go find a-jie."

We started walking towards the memorial hall where the funeral will take place, everyone was clad in white. Nobody could recognise who belonged to which family anymore, Wei Wuxian and I reached the still empty memorial hall where a-jie was decorating flowers. I could hear her soft sniffles.

Heck! Even I want to cry! I haven't seen my parents for a decade and this is what I come home to?!

I feel a hand on my shoulder, Wei Wuxian just nodded his head. He understood what I was feeling and so he helped me keep it together, I held back on my tears which wanted to just flow and called my sister.

"A-jie"

She turned towards me, clad in white and her face seemed to have no color.

"A-cheng, A-xian, you're here on time." She smiled weakly, as her tears stained face looked almost as if she was holding on for dear life.  My heart broke even further as I saw her looking at our parent's photographs and decorating flowers around, it seems as if one's heart can never stop breaking no matter how much it is broken.

Not Now Jian Cheng, you have to be strong. We can deal with our feelings later.

I kept on repeating this to myself till the memorial service began because now, I didn't have the time to be feeling sad anymore.