Chapter 38

Lan Xichen

The morning of the shareholders summit, the tension was palpable. Wangji and I tried to keep the tension to a minimum in the house but the kids were perceptive to our growing anxiety. They didn't talk much or tried to ask for us, unlike the usual mornings where they would whine and dine until it was time to go to school.

Wangji seemed calm, despite the predicament that we were in, he seemed calmer than last night.

"Wangji, are you okay?" I asked, hoping I would understand what he was thinking.

"Mm," was all he said as he focused on his breakfast.

The silence hung around us, even after breakfast, even as we bid good day to the kids, as we went to work and even as we waited for the summit to take place.

The shareholders meeting was supposed to take place before lunch. Which was fantastic given that whatever unfolds, atleast I will be able to stomach the food. With the clock ticking away and my anxiety giving me a headache, I thought to myself of everything that could go wrong.

Maybe the shareholders would take Lan Qiren's perspective into consideration and let him stay as a major shareholder.

Maybe we would end up losing the company entirely.

Maybe, maybe, maybe......

I heard a knock as I racked my brain for every possible outcome I could think of.

"Er-ge, it's A-yao."

I winced at the voice, going back to the night when I ended things with him.

********

"A-Yao," I called as I heard him unlock the door to my apartment.

It had been two weeks since the accident, two weeks since Wei Wuxian has been in the hospital. The instatement had gone through for the new CEO but things were still unstable and I hadn't seen Jin Guangyao since that night.

"Er-ge....what...what are you doing up so late?" He spoke, hesitation lacing his voice.

I looked up at him, the lamp light doing a poor job of illuminating his face.

"Where were you for the past two weeks?" I asked.

I didn't need excuses, I needed to know why he was acquainted with The Triad at all. Had he been in touch with them all this time? Did he have any clue where Xue Yang was? Was he the one selling insiders secret to them?

"Let me explain, Er-ge, I didn't-"

"I don't need excuses. I want answers,"

He stood quietly, head hung low.

"You have already thought of me as the bad guy, is there a point in saying anything else now?" He said.

It hurt to hear that but I had given in one too many times, overlooked one too many signs and now we were here.

"No, it is not. But I still want to know, why them?"