9- The imaginary friend

Christina's POV:

"Christina?", It was as if everything around me was in a haze.

A voice before distant was now practically speaking from right besides me.

Everything looked so blurry.

"Christina, if you can hear me, squeeze you left hand", I man's voice instructed me.

As told, I squeezed my hand as hard as I could, although I'm sure it was equivalent to a baby's grip.

"She's responding well", the man spoke from right above me. "Let's give her a few seconds to get used to the light".

"What's going on?", I nevously asked, not knowing where the hell I was or with whom. "Matthew?", I tried calling out for him, but his voice didn't answer.

"Christina you had an accident, remember?", the man spoke slowly, as if I was a child.

Whispers could be heard around me, and I could almost swear it was my mom who was talking.

"Mom?", I asked.

Feet rushing towards me and a soft sob indicated she was right next to me, holding my hand in hers.

"Yes honey, I'm here". I could see she was smiling and crying at the same time, for my vision was already completely restored.

I realized the man who spoke before was actually a doctor, holding a note pad and writing things down as he looked at me.

"The accident Christina, do you remember anything? We need to know so that we can measure the damage done".

"Damage?", I asked confused. "What accident?".

As hard as I tried, I couldn't seem to remember a single thing.

"You were taking a shower", my mom began while caressing my hand. "It seems like you got out and tripped on the carpet", she sobbed.

"You hit your head pretty hard", the doctor nodded. "Don't worry, it'll come back to you in time. For now, try to relax and rest", he concluded while smiling at my mom and exiting the room.

Looking back at her, I scrunched my forehead and wondered out loud.

"I tripped?", I asked, waiting to hear her explanation.

Her face went blank, although I could still see the pain in her eyes.

"You had taken a shower and made a mess on the floor, as always", she said while rolling her eyes.

It's true, for some reason each time I took a bath the entire floor ended up wet as hell.

"It seemed like you were changing in there and tripped over the rug, you went flying back from how slippery the floor was", she carried on.

"Your brother realized something was odd when you didn't answer, he called us to open the door".

The dream.

It had all been true, and just as realization hit me, I remembered what had actually happened that night.

I was thinking about doing it, about... ending everything.

I forced myself to think it over a shower, to clear my thoughts, but for some reason I got out even more decided to do what I intended than before.

My hand, it reached for the bottle of pills before I could even process it, though as soon as I tried to open it I took a step back and my foot got caught on the rug.

I remember falling, but that's about it.

"Honey?", I heard my mom ask, making me turn my attention to her.