3- The cookies

Christina's POV:

"Oh my God the floor is a mess", I said as I cringed at the sight of water everywhere.

"It'll dry out eventually", the guy said as he went into the kitchen and grabbed a banana.

"You will dry out eventually", I said between my teeth.

"What's that supposed to mean?", he chuckled out.

"Just eat the banana", I settled to say, since I didn't want a headache to annoy me all day long.

As I stood admiring the messy kitchen floor and thunders threatened to bring the house down, the guy walked towards me and extended his hand.

"Matthew", he presented himself.

"Christina", I sighed in defeat. "Wanna tell me why you were on my house?", I tiredly asked.

"Yeah, sorry about that", he said while scratching his head and offering me a piece of banana, which I declined.

"My family owns the cabin next door. We come here every summer", he began explaining.

"Oh, of course!", I voiced out loud in realization. "I knew you looked familiar".

"I should, we knew it other when we were little", he pressed so that I'd remember. "We used to play al the time", he exclaimed with a smile.

"Anyways", he continued. "A few years ago, after you stopped coming, we met the family you rent to, the Morrisons. Really good people", Matthew nodded while eating a bit more out of the banana.

"Long story short, when they found out I loved fishing, they'd let me come to their dock and spend some afternoons here", he smiled satisfied.

"Doesn't your house have access to the lake as well?", I wondered out loud.

"Noup", he popped on the P. "That's why they were kind enough to let me in whenever I wanted to", he shrugged.

"You do know they left almost a month ago right?", I inquired while raising my eyebrow.

Giving me a foolish smile, I watched as his cheecks went a little pink before he gave me an answer.

"Sorry about that", he began. "But since I knew the Morrisons left, I thought I'd try and see if I could convince the new tenants to let me fish here".

"And since you saw no one was here you just let yourself in", I concluded accusingly.

"Sort of, yeah", he shyly nodded. "I promise I'll be out of your way as soon as the situation allows me to though", he promised.

"Fine, but start getting on my good side by cleaning this mess up", I said referring to the huge amount of water covering the floors.

Without saying a word, he began mopping the floor while I went upstairs to change into something that wasn't wet.

As I got to my room's door, I came to a halt remembering I never took my bag out of the car.

Still, just as I was about to turn around to look for it, my eyes catched the distinctly yellow spongebob square pants pin I put on my bag years ago.

"I need to concentrate more", I laughed at myself, not quite believing I didn't  remember I had already looked for the damn bag.

Already with a fresh pair of socks, a tshirt and a pair of sweatpants, I began accommodating the clothes in the drawers before going back downstairs.

Once the bag was empty, I sat on my bed and appreciated my sanctuary.

This room had always been some sort of a safe space for me when my thoughts got too loud. Too, messy...