58| Ashes⛑

Continuing from last chapter:

Soon, the heat was too much to handle. It was boiling us.

Jimin pulled me into a final hug, as I snuggled in his chest.

Slowly... I started to lose consciousness.

...

58| Ashes

Jungkook's POV: Before the Fire

"I just spoke to Chaeng unnie's collegue. I might know where she's headed. There's an old barn nearby a block of abandoned houses that were destroyed by a hurricane. She must've followed Ah Rah there." Lisa seemed certain.

"I may be wrong, but I think this is a trap." I replied.

"Should we call the cops?" Lisa asked.

I hesitated.

My interference in this mission caused too much pain for all of us. The least I could do was to help them escape, or at least not get caught.

"Whatever we do, we can't call the cops. If the cops arrive, it's over. They'll arrest Jimin and getting him out will be near impossible."

"Right. She wouldn't want that for him..." Lisa agreed.

"Why do you think its a trap? Who's setting it up?" she asked.

"I think Jimin is luring her into his trap. And Chaeyoung might be in danger following them there."

"Are you sure?"

"While I was investigating Park Jimin, I began profiling him as a serial killer and there's two types of them; One who kills for pleasure and one who kills for revenge. I was certain he was the first one at the start, but it didn't match his pattern of killings. He's putting up an act as though he's enjoying the killing. An act so real, even he started to believe it. But his purpose is revenge. And now that he's free, there's one last person he has to kill to feed his desire,-"

"Cho Ah Rah." We said in unison.

We got in a cab and began to circle around the area which was hit by a hurricane a few months back.

There was no sign of them.

"Are we.... perhaps too late?" Lisa asked, her voice shaking.

"No. We'll find them." I tried to stay optimistic.

Soon, at the end of the street, we saw a barn.

We got down and paid the cab driver.

"Do you smell something?" I asked.

"It smells like petroleum... and something burning..." she said, looking up at the air vent chimney.

Smoke was coming out of it.

"Oh no, is unnie inside?" Lisa asked, scared.

"I don't know we have to find out. Let's check the windows."

We ran toward the house windows, but they were all barricaded by barb wire.

Through the wires, all I could see was fire and smoke.

"I think I see someone.... They're not moving," Lisa exclaimed, from a window on the other side, her voice cracking.

She began shouting loudly for Chaeyoung, but I knew it was no use. There was  no way anyone would hear us shouting.

"Shit we have to do something." I said.

As I looked at the flames filling the barn, the painful memories of Junghee flooded my mind. I wasn't about to let anyone die like she did.