𝐱𝐱𝐱.

"I CAN'T IMAGINE I PASSED. IF I DO, WILL YOU CATCH ME WHEN I FAINT?". . .

Magnolia looked away from Gilbert, who kept glancing at her, and at her friend, Diana.

"Hm?" She asked, still glancing at the curly-haired every now and then.

Anne rolled her eyes at the redhead, then spoke. "You will get in, Diana."

"Queens scholars," Mrs. Stacy said as she walked in. "I hold on my hand your Queens entrance-exam year scores. Regardless of the outcome, I'm proud of how hard everyone has worked and how you acquitted yourselves. You've made a great showing for Avonlea. And now..." She slammed the papers on the table for everyone to see.

The class swarmed around the table, trying to see their scores.

"Diana got in!" The redheaded girl heard someone yell. A smile washed over her face as Diana's mouth fell open in shock.

"Congratulations!"

"Gilbert and Magnolia tied for first!" Tillie shouted, causing Magnolia's eyes to widen.

Her eyes found Gilbert's. He was already looking at her and grinning widely.

She slowly walked over to him, chewing her lip nervously as she did. "Congratulations." She said to him.

He pressed his lips into a fine line. "Thanks. You too."

She nodded, hoping he'd say something else, but sadly, he didn't.

"Everyone! It is with a heavy but proud heart that I say to you all one last time: class dismissed!" Mrs. Stacy exclaimed, and everyone laughed and cheered.

"It's okay, Diana." She rubbed her friend's back gently as tears slipped down her face.

"Diana, what happened?" Anne asked as she walked into the brunette girl's room.

"I can't fly."

Anne sat on her bed and put her hand on her forehead. "What are you saying? Do you have a fever? Diana, answer me." Anne looked to Magnolia for an explanation, she just shook her head.

"I don't matter." Diana murmured. "I can't fly."

"They forbade you?—you can't go to Queens?"

Diana started to sob again, causing both redheads to try and soothe her.

"Oh, my poor Diana."

Magnolia couldn't believe that Diana's parents wouldn't let her go, it was just barbaric of them to not allow her. It should be Diana's choice, not theirs.

It made her so angry that she wanted to cry. Diana shouldn't have to suffer for her parents to be happy.

"They've clipped your wings," Anne muttered.

She stared out the window as her mother tightened her corset, she couldn't stop thinking about Diana.

"What's the matter? Is it about Diana not being able to go to Queens?" Amelia questioned as she finished tying Magnolia's corset.

"Of course it is!" She snapped, immediately regretting it afterward. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have yelled—it's just so unfair! Diana should get to choose her future, not her parents."