𝐱𝐯𝐢.

"MOTHER WAS TALKING TO MRS

"MOTHER WAS TALKING TO MRS. PYE AND SHE SAID THE PMSC FELT THAT MRS. STACY IS PROBABLY UNSUITABLE." DIANA EXPLAINED.

"But she rides a motorbike!" Anne replied while walking up to the schoolhouse.

After the wedding mishap, Mr. Phillips had left town to work at a college. But Magnolia knew the real reason he left. He really left because he was embarrassed that Prissy didn't want to marry him.

The redhead held the door open for Diana and Anne.

"Mrs. Stacy seems modern and thrilling." Anne continued and walked inside.

"I heard she's a spinster." Tillie piped in.

"I heard she's from the mainland—" Ruby started to say but Josie cut her off.

"—Why would an unmarried woman from the city come here? There is a scandal somewhere, you'll see."

Magnolia rolled her eyes. "Could you quit being so pessimistic for once, Josie?" She asked while hanging up her coat.

Josie ignored her and sat down.

All of a sudden, the school doors burst open and there stood a tall woman with a slim figure. She was carrying a globe and a bag.

The globe dropped from her hands and rolled across the floor, right at Billy's feet.

Mrs. Stacy chuckled. "I just laid the world at your feet, didn't I?" Mrs. Stacy joked, causing the redhead to smile.

"Goodbye, Anne!" Magnolia exclaimed and waved to her friend. Anne waved back, then turned around and took the path to her house.

The redhead grinned to herself and started walking again.

"Hey!" A voice called from behind her. She spun around and faced the person.

There stood Gilbert Blythe.

"Hi." She beamed at him, suddenly forgetting that she was supposed to hate him.

He walked closer to her so he was at her side, then spoke again. "Isn't your father a part-time doctor?" Magnolia nodded in response. "Great! Is he home at the moment? I would like to speak with him."

"Yes, he is home. I'll take you to see him." She motioned for him to follow her and he did.

"Thank you."

"Welcome."

The two walked to Magnolia's house in silence, both not knowing what to say.

Soon, they reached her house and the redhead brought Gilbert to her father, then she left.

She went up to her room, deciding to start her homework early so she would have more free time that night.

Time flew by, and before she even knew it her she heard her name being called downstairs.

"Magnolia, come say goodbye to Gilbert!" Her mother told her, making her want to scream.

She slowly made her way downstairs, dreading the awkward encounter that was about to happen.

Gilbert stood by the door talking to Magnolia's mother, Amelia.

The redhead plastered a smile on her face then walked over to the two. "There you are, I thought you'd never come say goodbye to your friend."

"Here I am." She said cheerfully.

Her mother grinned, then looked to Gilbert. "I have to finish dinner, thank you for coming over, Gilbert."

"No, thank you for letting me talk to your husband." Her mother nodded and walked away, leaving Gilbert and Magnolia alone.

She looked down at her hands, thinking of something to say.

"Well, I better go—" Magnolia cut him off.

"—I'll walk you out." She pushed the door open and waited for him.

He nodded nervously. "O-okay." He walked out the door, with her following.

She stared at his back, pondering if she should apologize about the other night. She decided it would be best to apologize, so she caught up with Gilbert and spoke shyly.

"You know, I'm really sorry about the other night. I don't know why I was acting that way. I feel so stupid—you probably hate me—"

"—It's okay, and I don't hate you."

"Really?" Magnolia asked. She thought he'd be mad at her so she was a bit surprised at his reply.

"Yes," He sighed softly. "It was my fault, I was the one who told you I was leaving. You probably were upset with me for not telling you and for not saying goodbye. Then I show up at school one day, also without telling you." He chuckled dryly. "I'm the one who should be sorry."

Magnolia felt a weight fall off of her shoulders. She was so glad Gilbert didn't hate her.

Suddenly, she remembered something. In one swift movement, she pulled back her dress collar and untucked the necklace. "I never got to thank you for this." Gilbert blushed, however, Magnolia was oblivious to it.

He scratched the back of his neck. "You're welcome."

She smiled again and pulled Gilbert into a hug. He hugged back tightly.

Magnolia pulled away. "Bye, Gilbert." She said and walked back to her house.

"Goodbye, Magnolia."

AN. . .

this chapter kinda sucks but idk how to make it better so please bear with me!!