𝐱𝐱.

"THERE THEY ARE!"

The girls backed away from the window and surrounded the table covered in Anne's favorite treats.

Today was Anne's birthday, so everyone pitched in and helped throw Anne a surprise birthday party at Diana's house. Now, the girls were waiting for Anne and Diana to walk through the door.

The door flew open and Anne and Diana walked in. "Surprise!" The girls shouted in unison.

Anne's eyes widened, she was shocked and that made Magnolia grin.

"I hope you were worried sick about me." Minnie May said with a sly smile. Diana's plan was to run to Anne's house and pretend Minnie May was sick again—and it worked like a charm.

Anne chuckled softly at the youngest Barry.

The redhead moved away from the table and toward Anne. "Were you surprised?" She asked as she grabbed her hand and brought her to the table.

"Happy birthday!"

Anne gaped down at the different foods, then looked up at her friend. "You did all this?"

Magnolia shook her head. "Not just me, we all helped."

Magnolia stepped into her house and was immediately greeted with the smell of chicken. She smiled, stomach growling, and walked deeper into her house

"Magnolia, could you come here for a moment?" Her mother called from the kitchen.

"Coming!" She made her way to the kitchen, furrowing her eyebrows when she saw a baby in her mother's arms.

The redheaded girl smiled at the baby and held her hands out for Delly. "What is she doing here?" She questioned as she took the baby from her mother, Amelia.

"Mary's sick." She replied.

She felt her stomach drop. "How long has Mary been sick?"

"I don't know, maybe a few days?" Magnolia bit her lip and rubbed Delly's back for comfort. "Could you fetch your father? We are going to check on Mary and I need him to watch Delly." She nodded, handed Delly to her mother, and exited the house.

"Dad!" She yelled, a few seconds later her father's head popped out from the stable.

"Hmm?"

"Can you watch Delly while we go check on Mary?" She inquired and he nodded in reply.

Magnolia smiled gratefully and went back inside.

"Is it very serious?" Amelia asked Gilbert as she put her things on his table.

"Well, the doctor could answer that better than me, but hopefully not."

Magnolia clenched her teeth as she took off her coat."I think it's horrible that the only doctor that will see her besides my father is all the way in Charlottetown."

"I agree. Illness doesn't discriminate." Gilbert said as he approached Magnolia. "Thankfully, neither does Dr. Ward. He's a good man." She nodded in agreement.

"Off you go, Gilbert, before you miss your train." Her mother reminded him.

Gilbert took a quick glance at the redhead before he left, she smiled softly at him and he did the same, then he left.

Suddenly, the door opened again. Magnolia expected it to be Gilbert so she turned to the door with furrowed eyebrows.

Instead of Gilbert, Bash stood at the doorway with his hat in his hands.