𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐱.

"I THINK GILBERT MIGHT'VE BEEN ASKING IF I LOVE HIM AND I THINK I TOLD HIM TO MARRY SOMEONE ELSE.". . .

Her mother smiled. "Well, do you love Gilbert?"

"I don't know—I've never loved anyone before. How does one know? And how can I be sure enough to say, "sure, take option two." when option one is all he wants for his future!" She paced back and forth as she ranted.

"What is option one?"

"Winifred, a girl whose father offers him a chance at a life he can't otherwise have."

"That is a prodigious conundrum."

"I know. I was a child yesterday, and now I feel like I have to explain the rest of my life on a ticking clock! If I make the wrong decision, I've either ruining my life or his. And I can't do that to him or myself. Plus, I don't even know if I love him yet!"

"Love is a tricky thing, sometimes it feels like an undeniable force that hits between the eyes and doesn't let up. Other times, it's malleable, questionable. It's truth hidden in and amongst external obstacles and internal circumstances that've formed who you are, what you expect in the world, and how you can accept love." She sat down beside her mother as she continued. "Oh, to say the least, it's complicated. And if a mind's abuzz with pressure and deadlines and "what if this and that," I imagine love's truth would be a near-impossible thing to feel. I wonder if when all's quiet in your mind, you'll find your answer."

"And what if by then it's too late?"

"It won't be too late. If he truly loves you he won't ask Winifred to marry him."

She nodded, folding her arms across her chest and staring out the window and thinking about Gilbert.

She wanted him to be happy of course, but she also had to think about herself for once. She loved him, and if he really loved her back, he wouldn't care if he couldn't go to the Sorbonne or have his dream life—he would be content with her, and just her.

"Oh, my God, I love Gilbert Blythe."

Magnolia hopped on her horse and rode away from her house. After figuring out she loved Gilbert, her mother told her to go to him, so she did as her mother said and went to him.

Her heart was racing as she neared Gilbert's house, she couldn't believe what was about to happen.

She quickly stopped her horse by tightening the reigns, got off, then tied the horse to the tree by Gilbert's house.

The redhead made her way to the door and knocked promptly. A woman who looked similar to bash opened the door for her. "Can I help you?"

"You must be Mrs. Larroix! I'm Magnolia, a friend of Gilbert's and Bash's. It's so nice to finally meet you!" She exclaimed, brushing her hair behind her ear. "Is Gilbert here by chance?"

She shook her head. "I'm sorry he went out."

"Well, could you tell him I came by?" Magnolia questioned.

She nodded then closed the door.

Ever since she went to Gilbert's house the day before she had been worrying because he still hadn't come to her. She wondered if Mrs. Larroix forgot to tell him, or maybe she did tell him but it was too late.

She fiddled with her hands as she rambled. "Was I supposed to wait outside his home until he came back? What if—"

Anne interrupted her. "Without boys, we're gloriously free."

Magnolia pulled her legs to her chest then leaned her head on them. "This is ridiculous!" She exclaimed. "Why am I doing this to myself? I can't see into his mind! You know what I can do? Ask! Even if his words are hurtful, I will have the truth and I will recover."

"You have such a brave heart, Magnolia." Diana complimented, causing the redheaded girl to smile brightly.

"Thank you."

She knocked at the Blythe house for the second time in the past 24 hours. She was shaking with anxiety as her fist collided with the door, half of her wanted to run away, while the other half wanted to see what Gilbert had to say, so she stayed.

Bash was the one to open the door. He was holding Delly and he looked a bit upset.

She grinned at him. "Hi, is Gilbert home yet? I came by yesterday and he wasn't here."

"Gilbert left for Charlottetown early this morning." Her heart dropped at his words. It was too late. He had gone to propose to Winifred.

She looked down as tears filled her eyes. "Oh, I see." She bit her lip. "I should go. Thank you, Bash."

She turned away and started walking toward her horse.

She felt stupid. She should've had her feelings figured out, and she should've told him sooner. Now he was off proposing to Winifred, and she was sitting on her horse holding back a sob.

Magnolia let out a shaking breath and squeezed her eyes shut. She had to get over him. She couldn't handle feeling like she did any longer. It was pure torture.

AN. . .

sorry this chapter is kinda short! the next chapter is (probably) going to be the last one so i promise it's gonna be longer!

stay safe <3