𝐢𝐱.

"HE SAID THE CUTHBERTS ARE POOR

"HE SAID THE CUTHBERTS ARE POOR.". . .

Magnolia looked up from her hands at the sound of Josie Pye's voice. "Anne is poor?" Diana asked.

"What do you mean poor?"

"Poor as in "penniless old fellow with no head for finance." The red head stood from her seat and made her way over to the girls.

"Were you ever told it's rude to spread rumors and gossip about people? By what I'm hearing, I guess not." Magnolia said sternly. "How would you like it if someone spread slander about you?"

"Yeah, that's not very nice." Ruby added.

"I'm just telling the truth." Josie smirked, and Magnolia glared at her.

"That can't be true—" Diana started to say.

"—the Cuthberts had to mortgage their farm. Isn't that sad?" Josie pretended to sound sympathetic, but anyone could tell that she wasn't.

"Josie Pye you take that back!" Anne yelled as she got up from her seat.

"Why are you upset? It's only true. You're poor." Anne stayed silent. "Wait, you didn't know? Do you at least know if they're going to keep you?" Josie was crossing a line, and Magnolia wasn't about to have it.

"Keep me?" Anne muttered.

The read head stepped forward, closer to Josie and spoke."Just leave her alone, Josie. You have no right saying these things." The blonde glared in reply, causing her to roll her eyes back at her.

"Next!" The drama teacher shouted. "Come along,"

Magnolia put her hand on Anne's arm. "Don't let it get to you." She whispered, then walked with the other girls to the front of the classroom.

"Take your places please!"

"Angels we have heard on high, sweetly singing oe'er the plains. And the mountains in reply, echoing their joyous strains." They all sang together, but as the song progressed Magnolia noticed Anne stopped singing. Before she could even blink, Anne ran out of the classroom, Magnolia followed her.

"Anne!" She called, and caught up with her friend. Diana followed her out the door and also caught up with her.

"Are you alright?" The red head questioned.

"I'm fine."

"Are you sure you're alright?" Diana inquired, as she slipped on her jacket. "Maybe you should slow down."

"I have to get on home. Oh, it can't be true." Cried Anne.

"It isn't, that Josie Pye is just as mean as they make em'. She hadn't any right to tell tales about you."

"My first family, my first home." Magnolia grabbed onto Anne's hand to comfort her.

"They're not going to send you back. Remember, you're in their Bible and everything." She reminded her.