- 2 -

ELIZA

I approach my locker just as the bell rings, it was time to go to form. I grab the books I need for the first two periods, and close the locker door with my left hand as I try to balance my bag on one knee. My attention was diverted by my struggle to place my books into my backpack, as I try to make my way down the hall trying not to be later than I already was.

My head collides into a chest, and momentum takes me backwards, landing on my posterior with my bag on the floor next to me.

"Don't you have eyes?" The sound of an arrogant voice switches my attention upwards, facing the chartreuse eyes of a conceited boy looking down at my own. My face scrunches in distaste, as I rub my back to soothe the small ache.

I could gather he was a new student, he had most definitely not been here while I was in high school, so he must have joined in sixth form - his navy blazer and lack of a tie was a testament to my theory. His American accent was slightly off putting, I had never actually heard one in real life.

Whilst picking myself up, I manage to apologise, "Sorry about that!"

"Watch it next time," His jaw clenches, and his eyes grow smaller from he furrow off his oak eyebrows, "I didn't know the school accommodated small brains like you."

"There's no need to be such an asshole, I literally apologised," I scoff as he begins to walk away, disinterested by my words, "Did you forget that you have eyes too?"

He stops walking, "What?"

"This hallway fits at least three people side by side, in my defence my focus was on my bag," I lift my chin up towards him, "But you? What's your excuse?"

His face remains stoic, but he moves to push his arms into the pockets of his black trousers.

"I guess that permanent scowl must affect your eyesight," I walk up to him and place my hand on his shoulder, feeling the his tense muscles underneath, "Pro tip for the next time you walk, open you're eyes a little, they're there to help your thick skull from losing the one braincell it has."

I flash a small smile before walking off in the opposite direction, fastening the pace of my feet, in hopes that my form tutor wouldn't recognise how late I was. I walk in through the classroom doors with my head kept down, trying to attract as minimal attention as possible.

Mrs Finch's voice rings from behind me, "As nice as it is to have you back Eliza, I would prefer if you weren't tardy. I'll let you off, seeing as it's your first day back but I won't be so kind next time"

As she spoke a collective number of eyes bring their attention towards me, I swallow the small lump that begins to form in my throat. More attention was just what I needed.

I turn to her and smile sheepishly, "Sorry Miss, won't happen again."

I scurry to the only available desk, at the back of the class and right next to the window that overlooked our courtyard. From the corner of my eye I caught Riya staring at me two rows away. I turn to look at her and I raise my eyebrows.

Riya was my closest friend, in fact the only person that I consider a friend, our parents were really close, my mum and her parents had went to the same University, and so naturally we got along together very well. Both of us and Ezra were very close, until we went to high school and Ezra found out that it was not normal to hang around two girls constantly. From then it was just the two of us and I could tell her anything and vice versa, we both treated each other like sisters.

When my father had died, she was the first to know, and the first to be at my side. She knew more than well that I hated talking about it, just remembering that it even happened makes my palms sweaty.