- 31 -

ZAYN

I am not here because I desire it. 

I did not just decide to join a school in the middle of nowhere in England. I did not just choose to throw all that I had known in America, just to copy my brother.

I'm just a pawn in a game orchestrated by Richard Hastings; a game that has only one outcome, one victor - despite the different routes a player can take.

That winner is Jasper.

The sole heir to an entire kingdom, and one that is his real descendant.

I'm not an imbecile, I've know from the moment I entered the realm of the Hasting's business, that there really was no way to back out. I was tied to their family, regardless of my feelings, and all I can blame for that is my money hungry mother, and that power crazy bastard. 

But the silver lining amongst being used as means to spy on Jasper, were the twins. They were the perfect way to create a fault in the grand plan Richard had arranged. They would become a thorn that was difficult to remove, I knew they had potential to become a pain that cannot be easily located.  And soon it would develop into something larger, one small misstep from Jasper, could cause the first sign of breakage in the walls of their kingdom.

I close the door of the locker, my hands moving slowly as I remove the key from the lock. 

Eliza and Ezra were normal civilians, and although Ezra was heavily into illegal fights, his sister was his weakness. Sooner or later, a line would be crossed and the authorities would be involved - and prove to be much more effective than the cops in Chicago. The justice system in America was weak, the officers and heads of court were easily bribed with money, power, and insurance of their life, and in all honesty, I commend Jasper's father for finding such loopholes. 

My eyes switch to the sound of shuffling feet that was approaching from the opposite side of the corridor. Her focus was retained to the device in her hand, her head slightly bent, letting her black locks fall forwards. She had removed the blue hair tie that held her hair back this morning, it now remained on her wrist, slightly loose.

Originally, I had no intentions of bringing Eliza into this mess. Ezra was the liability I needed to place Jasper in a tough spot. Ezra's addiction had a tight grasp around his neck, it made him reckless and unwise; therefore his reliability was wavering. 

I watch as her figure draws closer, my eyes not once leaving her. Perhaps I had too much faith in Eliza, and her role in all of this. I certainly did not anticipate her feelings for Jasper to overrule all the illegal things he was involved in.

I shift my eyes downwards for a split second, before returning them back to Eliza. Her head snaps up, giving us one second to lock eyes before I tear my gaze away. Turning my body to the opposing direction.

I begin my descent down the hall.

"Zayn!"

The grip of Eliza's hand catches me off guard, forcing me to halt my footsteps. I was hoping she wouldn't see me. I don't give a response as I look down at her hands, her nails were painted white.

She notices my watchful gaze on her hand, and immediately retracts it back to her side.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" She asks, her voice slightly worried. 

I look up, "Yeah, sure."

I had a small suspicion as to what the next few words were going to be, something about my negligence to our friendship.

"Are you mad at me?" Her voice was quiet, lying on the edge of nervousness as she awaits my response.

"No."