- 7 -

ELIZA

Just as I return the piece of card onto the counter, Ezra walks in, his wounds have visibly started to heal, but they still looked like they hurt.

"Where did you get this card from?" I ask pointing to it.

"Gosh, three seconds into my room and you're already grilling me, my sister has no chill." He laughs as he flops onto the bed.

"Just answer the question, I'm not in the mood to joke around." I sigh, leaning against his desk.

He turns is head to look at me, "I'm not sure honestly, I just found it in my locker," his gaze deepens on me, "are you ok, Izzy?"

"I got one too." I state, avoiding the last question, it was not time to be emotional and delve deep into my mind.

He sits up alert, "You did? But I went and you weren't there."

"I showed Riya, she convinced me to hide behind the bushes so we could find out who sent it to us, but we couldn't really see or hear anything, who did you meet there?"

He clenches his teeth before replying, "Jasper."

"But why?" I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

He looks away, diverting eye contact.

"Ezra, what were you even fighting about that day? No, in fact both days? How do you actually know him, and be honest."

He releases a deep breath, "I'm not telling you shit Liz, it's none of your business."

"Well it became my business when I passed out after being physically harmed by a person who I have know for less than a week!" 

Ezra's eyes turn to glare at me, annoyance rippling through them, "I never asked you to butt in, I had it handled."

"Had it handled? You had it handled?" I mock in disbelief, "If I didn't become a human shield for you, you would have been in hospital for a fucking brain injury!" I wave my arms in frustration.

"You really think I'm weaker than that bitch? Gosh, Eliza, your faith in me is shocking. You think all of this revolves around you and your guilt. It doesn't." He snarls, "Now get out."

"That's not the answer to my quest-" I start to raise my voice.

"I said get out!" He shouts with vexation.

Taken back by his sudden outburst, I flinch back towards his desk, hitting my head on his shelf.

Both of us pause for a millisecond, and I know he wants to ask me if I'm alright. But his anger will not allow that. That's how it's always been, calculated Ezra, calm Ezra, rational Ezra, until that rage and passion he has bottled up seeps out. I clench my teeth, whatever is going on, it has him tensed, that much is for sure.

I move to make my way out of the room, my hand hovering on the handle, "I don't know what kind of shit you've gotten yourself into again, and why your treating me like this after all I've been through with you, but if mum ends up in hospital again because of you, no, screw that, if anyone in this house ends up paying the price of your mistake, I will not forgive you. Get yourself together." With those words I slam the door, visibly portraying my anger.

-

"He's being so weird, like maybe he's hiding something that he doesn't want you to know about." Riya shares her opinion, whilst digging into the bag of crisps we were sharing.

Break had only started five minutes ago and yet we had managed to get through half of the bag.

"I know," I reply, with a mouth full of crisps, "It sounds obvious, but, whatever he has to hide is directly linked to Jasper, I mean, we've only been in this school for what? A week? And somehow there's already been a fight, they definitely have known each other longer, and if Jasper has some play in the way Ezra was this summer, I will do something about it."