"Wild" Mandarin ducks

During the same time, Shen hour, second half-hour.

Xuande Hall's Deputy Steward eunuch Lao An walked out from the hall. He stuck out his head to look at the distant bustling, celebratory scenery, massaged his waist, and tottered towards his own residence behind the hall. He was in the secluded and quiet West Six Palaces, close to the cold palace Letter Hall, so even if there was an event happening in the palace today, it still had nothing to do with him. The almost seventy year old eunuch stiffened his mouth while returning to his room, swaying back and forth.

Passing by a quiet cloister, the old eunuch suddenly stopped his steps.

In front, a man and woman who wore the uniforms of a eunuch and a palace maid, were in the middle of flashing past a stretch of fake mountain decorations.[2]

"Who!"

The patrolling guards of the Xuande Hall stopped outside the courtyard door, looking in with attention.

That man and woman pair turned around with panic, their appearances unfamiliar. In the palace maid's ginger yellow face color rose hints of redness, and she bashfully withdrew back her hand.

The old eunuch's age was old but his eyes were not; discovering a cylindrical shaped object in the girl's hand, he started, then realized that this was yet another good drama involving a pair of unnatural lovers.

Pressing his lips, the old fellow thought of his own "eating partner" Jade Ring, and couldn't help but obscenely chuckle with a "he he" sound. Waving his hand, he signaled for that couple to quickly go, while also gesturing at the guards.

The guards changed directions and left.

Those two lowered their heads, but loitered there not moving. The old eunuch clasped his hands and walked out several steps, before turning around with a surprised "en?" sound.

"Sir Eunuch please save us!" That palace maid suddenly charged forward, her voice choking. The old eunuch narrowed his eyes while looking at her, his brows knitting together.

"Sir Eunuch ... we are servants of the Letter Hall ... right now ... right now we don't dare to go back ..." That maid raised her head. Although her face color was faintly jaundiced, her appearance was very pretty, and her teary face delicate and moving. Slender crescent eyebrows elegantly rose up, causing even that sad expression to have a sense of brightness and refinement.

The old eunuch watched her with pity, feeling that it was only because this lady's skin color was not well; with one look, one would be able to tell she was from lowly birth, and had few opportunities to succeed in life. Otherwise, with this kind of striking appearance even being a concubine would be possible. Why would she need to stay in the cold palace and become false husband and wife with a eunuch? With this thought he began to have some compassion in his heart for the woman, and hesitantly looked over in the distance.

Over there soldiers came and went without break, their inspection strict. No wonder this pair of wild mandarin ducks didn't dare to return to the hall. As a deputy steward eunuch himself, he truly could cover for them once. Only, for what reason should he risk danger for people with no relation to him?

The old eunuch recovered his sleeve. His aged eyes dimmed and his expression turn confused as he looked up at the sky.

Yun Hen and Meng Fuyao gave each other a glance. Fuyao raised her eyebrows, using her chin to signal towards Yun Hen. Yun Hen frowned, and softly made a humph sound using his nose. Meng Fuyao immediately pounded the small of his back, her attack ruthless. Helpless, Yun Hen scooped out a bag from his robes and gave it to Meng Fuyao.

With a smoothing of her eyebrows and humor in her eyes, Fuyao received it, and used two hands to offer it to the old eunuch, with a low voice saying, "Sir Eunuch is hardworking, here is a token of our good will."