Clear Water, Flying Sleeves

Start from the beginning

After thinking a little, Meng Fuyao hid the waist strap in her robes.

Yuan Zhaoxu, previously always off to the side, now popped out of who-knows-where. With a strange gaze, he watched Meng Fuyao stuff that man's personal belonging into her robes. After some time he said, "What are you doing keeping that thing?"

Fuyao replied like it was obvious. "This thing is worth a lot, if I keep it, if one day I need clothes or food, I can use it to trade for living expenses."

Yuan Zhaoxu slightly wrinkled his brows, "That thing isn't worth anything, don't keep it. If you lack money I'll give it to you."

"Trying to trick me?" Meng Fuyao curled her mouth. "You think I can't see the value of this jade? Also, this girl has a lot of backbone, I don't accept charity."

Zhaoxu cast a glance at her, then faintly grinned. "Yes, you don't accept charity, you just pick up the junk other people don't want."

"You!" Meng Fuyao became gloomy, shifting her eyes to see Yuanbao poke its head out from Yuan Zhaoxu's robes. Seeing Fuyao deflated and melancholy, it turned extremely happy, chattering with zhi zhi sounds non-stop. With indignation she used the "one finger flick", flicking Yuanbao, who squeakily protested and opened its mouth wide to bite.

Meng Fuyao had long escaped while loudly laughing.

After running for a couple steps, past a curve was a patch of forest shade. Not far forwards was Qi Xunyi's contingent. Meng Fuyao was just about to go back, when she heard someone say, "Hey, you."

Turning her head to look, she saw the servant who had just pushed her and almost caused her to fall into the water. Seeing this person, she didn't want to bother with him, but for some reason when this person saw Meng Fuyao his eyes suddenly lit up, and he beckoned. "Hey, you come here."

Fuyao started, squinting her eyes to look at him. "Calling for me?"

"Yes, you." The servant was not very polite. "Our master doesn't have enough servants, you come here and give a hand."

He saw Meng Fuyao with an expression of awkward indecisiveness, and patiently said, "We won't make you work for nothing." From his sleeve he palmed out a string of copper coins [4]. Throwing it on the ground with a "pa la" sound, he arrogantly said, "Here, one hundred wen, enough for you to eat at Yanjing's meat broth shop for half a month." [5]

Meng Fuyao lowered her head, looking at the copper money by her feet. After a while, she smiled and picked it up, even blowing some dust off of the coins.

The servant revealed a pleased expression, handing Meng Fuyao a copper basin and saying, "Go, go next to the stream to get some water, it needs to be upstream water. After carrying it over, go to sister Jin Yan by the second horse carriage and ask her for some rosewater and lotus cream. After exchanging for them bring them into the carriage, remember, don't let your dirty hands touch the water! Alright that's all, I'm going to help his highness change clothes."

He shoved the copper basin to Meng Fuyao, a face of rejoice from finding a person to do his work for him. Fuyao could calculate with her fingers and she would still be able to guess that after Pei Yuan had her appearance ruined, her mood would be terrible. She already had a domineering attitude before, and those serving her would definitely suffer even more. Those who helped her run errands must be trying to escape whenever they could, otherwise why would they pay others to help?

The servant held out the basin. Seeing Meng Fuyao didn't immediately grab it, he impatiently shook the copper basin, "Hey, you dumb?"

Fuyao's eyebrows jumped. Looking at the copper basin, she suddenly smiled, then slowly went to scoop something out of her sleeve pockets.