eighty-one

Start from the beginning

"And what term would you prefer, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha shot back.

"How about "dangerous"?" the team had nothing to say, prompting the man to continue. "What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

The screen behind him flickered to lift, footage popping up almost instantly.

"New York,"

Flashes of the battle waged on before them, a battle that had lasted for hours and exhausted them all. Images of buildings falling, people running and screaming for their lives as Loki's onslaught continued. Deli instinctively felt the bare skin of her left hand, remembering all too well all that had transpired that day in the city.

"Washington, D.C.,"

Footage played of that day, the ships crashing into the water. Waves washed over the bridges surrounding the Triskellion as people ran for their lives, screaming before they were washed away in the flood.

"Sokovia,"

They watched the city fall once more, pieces of it crashing into the water as Deli looked away, unaware of Tony's eyes on her as he recounted the moments in which he through he had lost her.

"Lagos,"

The team could immediately tell the effect that it had on Wanda, the young woman looking away at the mere sight of the burning building, innocent people wheeled out on stretchers.

"Okay," Steve spoke, looking toward the secretary sternly as the videos ceased. "That's enough."

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution," a large stack of papers were placed on the table before them, slowly passed around from person to person. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries . . . it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"Mr. Secretary, with all due respect, the Avengers were formed to make this world a safer place," Audelia argued calmly, looking up at the man as Steve looked over the Accords beside her. "We are here to fight the battles that you simple can't. I believe we do our job fairly well."

"Tell me, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" the team fell silent once more as Steve passed the Accords to Deli. "If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes . . . you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."

"So, there are contingencies?" Rhodey asked.

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords," Steve looked at Deli, raising his eyebrows in question. She only shook her head, having no prior knowledge of any of this. They both looked to Tony, who avoided their looks. "Talk it over."

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha asked as Ross was almost out the door of the conference room.

"Then you retire,"

◼ ◼ ◼

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor, which is one more than you have,"

"So let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?"

"A 117 countries want to sign this. 117, Sam, and you're just like, "No, that's cool. We got it. "