Chapter 1: Changing Directions

Start from the beginning

  It was one week before my final exams. In my opinion, the worst week of the year. I do nothing but sitting at my desk, studying the whole day. My mother came in, without knocking, and I took my eyes off the History book between my hands, reading about the old Pharaohs of Egypt. I was surprised by the fact she didn't knock, for it was something which had never happened before. And the fact of seeing her with widely opened eyes and red cheeks made me even more suspicious. "You won't believe who just called me!" she exclaimed with a wide grin and a sparkle in her eyes, pointing at the cellphone in her hand.
   Sometimes something happens and you just stand there and think this will change my life, because you have that certain feeling inside of you, that one gut feeling. This was one of those moments. I couldn't help but stare at my mother and think: Something will happen. Something will change.

Without beating about the bush, she told me about what happened.
    At that time, my mother had been working as a Science teacher at my old Primary school. I always knew she didn't enjoy it as much as being a (as she calls it) real scientist and working on different projects in fancy labs and with other clever researchers, discovering new things. But since marriage, she hadn't done that a single time. And here, at this point, a friend of hers arrives on the scene. He had the perfect job for her, according to him. A rich sponsor was creating a team of scientists, collecting them from all over the world, to work on a big research which involved travelling to different places. In other words: the dream of my mother had come true; working with famous scientists, travelling around the world, practising "real" Science.. and all of that being paid!
   I couldn't blame her for mentally packing her bags whilst telling me about it all. I myself started imagining myself cooking everyday for my father and me, and staying at home alone most of the time (my father usually works 7 days a week, from 2.00 PM until 12.30 AM). But guess what? My mother refused. She said she wouldn't let me stay at home alone all this time, "It's too dangerous." And now she's sending me abroad! As if that was safer.
   That friend of her who got her the job, told her that he had the perfect idea about the Jenna-problem (how complementary!). He said he had a friend who has a big flat in London where I could live. The only catch: I would share the flat with 5 other people. Boys, to be exact. Yeah, you heard right. Me, the one who has never seen anything except Egypt, her family and her (female!) friends, was going to live with BOYS! Like, seriously?!
   I trembled by that thought. Here in Egypt, you can't practise how to act around boys because you never really get to do that. At least I never did. The only male teenager I've ever talked to, was my cousin.
    "Look at it from the bright side." My father interrupted my dark thoughts.
    "Which bright sides??" Not with all the will in the world I could see any bright sides in my current situation.
   "Like.." he began. ".. seeing new places. Meeting new people. Making new experiences."
   I sighed. "Baba, look at me." I sighed, pointing with my hands at my appearance. "Do you think the people in England will be able to deal with me? To deal with.. my Hijab?" Monika said that people abroad were rude to Hijabis. I wasn't sure if that's true, but I was forced to find out.
  He didn't reply. Here in Egypt it was something normal to see a girl like me wearing a headscarf, but I knew that in England it wouldn't be the same. Most of the people won't be able to understand it and my decision, and I didn't know how that might have an effect on how they treated me, like Moni claims.
   "I don't intend to leave that flat, or meet any new people there." I added, sounding like a little kid. Even I knew that this was being totally absurd.
   Before my father could reply, we arrived at the airport. I put the seat belts off and opened the car's door. It wasn't as crowded as I had expected, but a look at my watch told me that I should hurry.
   So quickly I helped my father take out my suitcase and the other bags. After I had put the suitcase on the sidewalk, I turned around to 1/3 of my family. His brown hair was tousled and his big, square-shaped glasses were crooked.
   He just hugged me and said: "You know what to do if you have problems."
   "I love you, baba. And don't turn our flat upside down, okay?" I smirked.
   He laughed. "Promise."
   Then he entered the car and drove away. Gladly, it all happened short and sweet. I kept waving until he disappeared, then I arranged the straps of my two bags and grabbed the heavy suitcase.

**

   One hour later I had gone through the whole airport-procedure and everything and was waiting for boarding. I wanted to read a few pages whilst waiting but I was too nervous to concentrate so I decided to call Leesha instead.
   She picked up after the second ring. "Hey J., what's up?"
   "England is up." I said grunting.
   She chuckled. "I envy you."
   I rolled my eyes. "Then you are a fool."
  "Hey hey, is someone being a little grumpy?" she asked cheerfully. A tall boy of about my age appeared and sat down onto the seat beside me. He was wearing checkered shorts and a wide T-shirt. His head was bobbing up and down and I noticed some headphones in his ear.
   I sighed. "Sorry, but with every second the flight comes nearer, I get angrier."
   "I understand you." She said. "Somehow."
   I had to smile. "Yes, yes, I know I am lucky to see another sight than the sandy street in front of my window, and another country than Egypt and ..."
   "Aaand," she interrupted me. "I bet those guys you'll share your room with will be cool and handsome, not like the clowns we have here."
   "I won't share my room with them, Leesh. And who told you they'll be cool and handsome? And who said I cared about this kind of stuff?" I peered at that boy beside me. He had taken out a tattered novel and was reading it, still with the headphones on.
   "My instinct says that. Besides that they are British!" she replied.
   "Hmm, you know what I think about upholding Western beauty standards. Besides, I remember mother telling me that one of them was.. maybe an Icelander, or something like that."
   "Yes yes I know. What are their names?"
   "I have no idea, didn't ask. But their names are the last thing I'm gonna worry about! This will be the worst vacation ever!" I complained.
   "Why are you so pessimistic? I bet you'll have one adventure after another, and you'll fall in love with one of those guys and..."
   "Leesha, stop daydreaming please." I interrupted her, playing with the zip of my bag.
   "Why? It's not that far from reality." She said indignantly.
   "It is. Because I don't intend to waste my time on falling in love with someone who'll never fall in love with me, okay?" the boy's head twitched subtly. Wasn't he listening to music?
    "Who said he'll never fall in love with you?" Leesha sounded provocative.
    "Logic."
   "Aha." She didn't sound convinced, more sarcastic, but I didn't care. "Well, we will see, right?" why were we even talking about hypothetical situations with people I've never even met before?
   "Right."
   "Okay Jee-Jee, let me know when you arrive."
   "Don't call me Jee-Jee." I protested, not for the first time.
   "Thank youuu, my dear."
   "I haven't agreed yet!"
   "I love you too!"
   I had to laugh. "Salam, hayati."
   "Salam, my love. Take care of yourself." Then the connection was cut. I hope I won't have to hear this sentence anymore today.
   I was just about to put the mobile into my bag, when it rang. This time it was Alia, Leesha's and my other best friend.
   "Hey Ali!" I greeted her right after picking up and crossed my legs trying not to annoy the stranger with the headphones.
   "Jenna, hey. Was afraid you're already on the plane!"
   I smiled. "Not yet. But boarding is in about.." I looked up at the display. "..7 minutes Inshaallah."
   "Well, so we'll keep it short. I only wanted to wish you a pleasant flight, and don't forget us losers here in Egypt while you're in the city of lights, okay?"
   "Paris is the city of lights, Alia." I laughed.
   "Ummmm, never mind. In any way it'll be much cooler than here."
   "Thank you, Ali. Will miss you all."
   "We too, believe me."
   My heart was filled with love for my friends. I already began to feel homesick although I haven't even entered the plane yet!
   As our phone call ended, I checked it to see if I got any messages from Kasatt. But nothing. The display changed into 'BOARDING NOW' so I turned my phone off angrily.
   The way from the building wasn't long and I enjoyed every inch of it. My last steps on Egyptian ground..
   Soon, I climbed up the stairs to the plane, shaking off any unhappiness or bad thoughts. A cute chubby stewardess with short, blonde hair and a warm smile greeted me and I greeted her back shyly. After throwing a look on my boarding card, I searched for seat 7a. The aisle was very narrow and hectic so it took me a while to reach my place. When I finally did, I tried to put the laptop bag into the locker over my seat, but no way. I was too short.
   "Can I help you?" asked a female voice behind me. I turned around and saw a beautiful blonde girl of about my age.
   "Umm, I'm not sure if we can do it." My cheeks turned red. How awkward.
   "Let's try!" she said and not even a minute later the laptop bag was at its place.
    "Wow, thanks!" I said smiling widely.
   "You are welcome." She smiled back.
   I grabbed my handbag and sat down on my seat. A few seconds later, the blonde girl sat down next to me.
   I looked up at her.
   "It just had to be." She just said smiling and shrugged her shoulders. "My name is Emily, by the way."

And the journey begins.