Chapter 9

With the door to his back, Tord hunches forward, his body shaking in denial to the events that had occurred.

No..no! Tom was here.

He wasn't gone. At least, that's what he kept telling himself. His Thomas wouldn't leave him.

Behind him, he could hear Paul and Pat banging on the door, but his ears refused to register the sound. Almost zombie-like, Tord got up from where he sat and moved behind his desk. The broken leader sat under there, just staring at his surroundings. Paul decided to use his key to get into the room at this point. He opens the door and looks around the room, no sign of him. Odd... He walked around the office, being cautious of every move, before hearing sniffles under a desk. He looked down and automatically recognized his leader in shock. Fitting himself in behind the desk, Paul drags his leader out from under the desk, moving the chair away in the process to create more space. He sits there on the floor, hugging him in comfort the best he can without being too awkward. Pat, catching on from where he stood, quickly follows, hugging him as well.

Tord refused to move to show that he knew they were there and kept staring forward. Then, a picture on his desk caught his eye. It was of him and his Thomas, not too long ago. It was the only picture that Thomas had smiled only slightly, and that was because he had caught him off guard. It was ever so rare to see the brit ever smile. The picture alone reminded Tord how much he wanted Tom. He needed him. And with that, the tears came streaming down his cheeks like a waterfall. Tord's shoulders quivered and shook as quiet sobs make their way past his lips. He was crying... Him! The Red Leader! He really was as pathetic as Tom told him.

Pat was shocked at seeing Tord break down like this. "Hey, hey, take it easy! You're fine, it's going to be fine... You are fine, as in uninjured, right?" Paul sighs, knowing what he would have to do to return his Leader to his usual emotional stasis. "Um, Patryck? Let me handle this..."

Paul gently turned Tord's head to him, his heart broke after seeing Tord's tears' streaked his cheeks. "Tom is gone, correct, soldier?" Paul puts on a commanding officer demeanor, one meant to snap Tord out of his misery. Tord sniffs, nodding. "Yes, sir..."

"And there's nothing you can do about it, correct?"

"Yes, sir...."

Paul gives Tord a fierce look, almost daring Tord to go against what he was saying. "Then why are you sitting here, doing nothing? You should be trying to find him, doing everything in your power as the Red Leader to get him back, as well as the Green Leader. Yet, you're sitting here, wallowing in your self pity. The Red Leader wouldn't do that. I guess then someone else will have to be our Leader..." He trailed off, hoping Tord would interrupt his "trail of thought".

"No!!"

Those words seemed to pull Tord back into the light of reality. He jumps up from the floor and onto his two feet, causing Paul and Pat to stumble back in shock. In almost an instant, Tord switched from a grieving male to the powerful Red Leader.

"I am the Red Leader! Me, and only me! I will find Thomas, and I will bring him back! No one will tell me otherwise, and may God help anyone who tries to get in my way..." Tord growled low before he strode to the closed door and flings it open, caught in the heat of his visible display of power. He spots a guard standing sentry near his office and calls him out. "You, soldier! Tell the elite squadron to abort their mission and that they have a new objective: Find the Green Leader, and find my Thomas."

Tord walked out of the room, but stops in his tracks. Paul and Patryk were still standing by his desk, with Pat in awe of his take-charge attitude and Paul with a satisfied smile. Tord grins and feels telltale pricks at the corner of his eyes.

"Thank you..."

Paul grins, pleased to see Tord back to normal. "Happy to help, sir. Now go find Tom!"

"Yes, of course!" blinking away the tears from his eye, Tord hurries down the hall to the command center, where the elite squadron was sure to be.

"Don't worry, Thomas... I'm coming for you."

MEANWHILE..

Tom sighs deeply, placing Edd down gently onto a bed. He begins to transform back from his larger form, feeling weariness overtake him from being in it for so long. He limps away from Edd, slight pain bolting through his body. "You can sleep there, Edd.. I'm going to the "living room" to rest..." Tom walked towards the door drowsily, still trying to process everything that had happened. He looks over at his dresser and walked towards it, opening it and rummaging through it a little.

"Tom?"

Edd was somewhat hesitant to speak to Tom, now that they were alone. Wincing from his prior injuries, Edd gets up and follows Tom. He was concerned about the way his friend was walking, and about what had happened earlier at the base.

"Yeah..?" The blue male answered in a low, dull tone. He picked up his iconic ol' blue hoodie and some sweat pants to help him get comfortable to sleep in

Edd looks down, biting his lip. He desperately wanted a cola right now.. NOt like he wasn't deprived of it already. He needed some type of refresher. But he had to tell Tom about... Matt ... "Tom, I have to tell you something important. It's.. It's about Matt.."

Tom gripped to his clothes, looking in Edd's direction. He was blind right now, having destroyed his visor while transforming earlier. He would need it in order to see now. He was only able to see before due to his monster form, which aided him with that.

"What about him? What happened to him? Where is he??" Tom's voice got more and more frantic as he "stared" at Edd. Edd chokes back tears, fighting to stay strong for Tom, luckily Tom couldn't see that, but Edd figure he didn't. "Tom, he's.." Edd falters in distress.

"He's what?" Tom narrowed his blind voids in the direction of his voice.

"He's...dead, Tom. Matt is dead..."