Great Perhaps- Peter Parker x reader

a/n: this is by far the longest oneshot ive ever written (10,292 words babey!!) but i really love how this turned out!! i hope u enjoy!! just a few notes; 1) this is based off looking for alaska so it'll loosely follow the premise of it but it's not exactly the same and 2) endgame never happened in this lmao

warnings: language, making out, underage drinking, mentions/descriptions of bad mental health, mentions of suicidal thoughts, mentions/descriptions of death, grief, sadness™

____________________________________________________________________________

102 days before (8/24/19)
Peter groaned, wiping the sweat off his forehead. Stacking up the last of the boxes, he sighed, grabbing the water bottle from his now empty dresser and gulping it all down. Leaving his room, he entered the kitchen where May was, making dinner for Peter's last night home.

"Hey May. Is dinner ready?" Peter asked, sweat drenching his clothes.

"Not yet, go take a shower!" May grinned, knowing that's exactly what Peter was going to ask.

"Awesome, thanks May." Peter replied, heading off to the bathroom. He tried not to think about not seeing Ned or MJ for a while, at least until Thanksgiving. MJ was going to NYU and Ned was taking a gap year to travel, but planned his travels so he'd be home for Thanksgiving to see his best friend.

He felt the lukewarm water making contact with his skin, Peter sighing in relief. With the late August heat, warm showers felt like hell, but cold showers were still uncomfortable so Peter was stuck trying to compromise.

It had been nearly a year since Peter got out of the soul stone. The months had been long, filled with therapy and nightmares, but he had made incredible progress and was ready to leave New York to go to a new state and get a fresh start at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

He hopped out of the shower, throwing on some sweats and an old shirt, before joining May in the kitchen.

"Perfect timing, dinner's ready!" May smiled, Peter sitting down as May served him spaghetti and meatballs with a side of salad. "I bet you're hungry, been packing all day!" May commented, a sad smile gracing her lips.

She was so proud of Peter, but she would miss him tremendously when he was at school. When Tony Stark knocked on her door to tell her Peter was gone, her world had ended. When he knocked on her door again, this time with a weak Peter, she hugged him so tightly Peter thought he couldn't breathe. He didn't mind it, though, he had felt so empty in the soul stone it was nice to feel contact with someone else again.

Peter didn't even have to apply to MIT, Tony knew what an extraordinary kid Peter was and when Peter said he wanted to go to Massachusetts for college, he used his connections to hook him up with a full ride when him and May were sure the nightmares had stopped, or at least weren't happening as frequently.

"Yeah. I mean you were too, but you got a break." Peter teased, May feigning offense.

"To make you dinner!" Peter chuckled, taking another bite of his favorite meal.

After dinner, Peter helped May clean up. "You're not gonna go back to your room just yet, right? Gonna stay out here for a bit?" May asked quietly, thinking of all the times in the days and weeks after Peter's return that he shut May out, often returning to his room immediately after dinner without saying a word. As the months and therapy went on, Peter began opening up more and spending more time with May again.

"Yeah." He nodded, seeing her smile and pull out a DVD.

"Anchorman." She smiled. "Figured we could both use some comedy." Peter grinned, seeing her pull out ice cream as well.