Chapter Forty: Unexpected Truth

Around two hours passed, and Bakugo and Midoriya didn't waste a single second of it

Around two hours passed, and Bakugo and Midoriya didn't waste a single second of it. They dashed around the city, going in and out of nearly every shop they saw. Ostus was a place filled with all kinds of attractions, ranging from simple stores to extravagant outdoor performances to quiet and serene areas. The shops were unlike anything Bakugo and Midoriya expected. Goods inside these stores were full of variety. Some were the everyday market goods: fresh food brought from the countryside, clothes made for simple townsfolk, daily necessities anyone could buy or use. But then there were shops that sold such specific things: potions for all uses, large weapons crafted by a famous blacksmith, armor meant for battle and adventure.

This really was the capital.

Midoriya and Bakugo kept themselves from splurging. Gold was light in their pouches, barely causing a jingle whenever it moved. They would need to find some quests, and soon.

Or... perhaps not.

Everywhere they looked, people were staring. But they weren't because they were walking hand in hand or sharing secret whispers and glances with each other. No one really seemed to be bothered by that. These people were looking at them with admiration, with appreciation, with gratitude. Many people waved out to them and thanked them. Others prefered to hide away, but glance at them with warm smiles. It was like the entire city was indebted to them. And there were only two of them walking around!

Some people even called them out. In the middle of their stroll down their street, a group of giggling girls pranced up to them, twirling their fingers around their hair. They didn't pay Bakugo much attention, but they all grouped up around Midoriya. "You!" one of them sang. "You were the one with that wonderful magic!"

"Er... yes, I was..." Midoriya mumbled, clearly uncomfortable.

"Wow! Seriously, we cannot thank you enough!" another girl claimed, causing all the others to lightly laugh. "How you saved us all yesterday... you were so brave." She moved a little closer with her arms out wide...

"Please don't come too close to me," Midoriya stated, holding his own arm out. "I do appreciate your thanks, but you don't have to hug me."

The woman pouted. "Aw, what's the matter?"

But this time, Bakugo but in. "He doesn't have to answer you. If he doesn't feel comfortable with you touching him, then you need to piss off."

"Kacchan!"

"It's the truth!" Bakugo stated. "Shouldn't be that hard for you guys to figure out."

"We just wanted a hug," another woman mumbled.

"Besides, who are you to butt into our business?"