Chapter Thirty-Nine: Day

Midoriya woke at dawn

He was in a place he didn't recognize, in a bed that felt too comforting to be from his small village, in a place too lonely. Everything was white. He opened his eyes and saw himself tucked away in clean sheets that matched the rest of the room. The room was large for one person, fit was elegant furniture that matched the bright theme. From a window on the right, the sun shone in, gleaming off every surface inside.

The sunrise...

"Kacchan?"

Midoriya suddenly pushed himself up, feeling the memories of yesterday invade his mind like a parasite demanding his body. The goddess, his friends, the sorcerer: he remembered it all now. His body was exhausted beyond belief. His muscles were sore, forming bruises easily on his delicate skin. Grime and sweat stuck to skin in the most revolting of ways.

He was a warrior in the room of a noble, a lost soul wandering through the peaceful skies. Why was he here? And where were the others?

There was a knock.

Midoriya whirled his head around to the door. Who was here? Who rescued him? He didn't know what to do. His mind was fogged up and he was left alone, desperate for any knowledge about this situation.

So he said the only thing he could think of. "Who is it?"

A muffled response came from the other side. "It's me, Deku. Can I come in?"

Midoriya instantly recognized that voice.

"Yes..."

He didn't move, even as the door slowly began to open. From the other side emerged the owner of the voice, the nickname, and the memories that lingered in Midoriya's mind. Bakugo looked a bit different, with no sign of dirt or grime on his body. His clothes looked a little brighter than before. A few tiny injuries were scattered around various places on his body, but other than that, he seemed unharmed.

Midoriya's breath got caught in his throat. "Kacchan, I... It's good to see that you're ok."

"Yeah, you too." Bakugo mumbled. He closed the door gently behind them before asking, "Did you sleep well?"

"Hmm, yeah," Midoriya whispered. "How long was I asleep?"

Bakugo lowered his head in though. "Er... you passed out during the sunset, so I'd say around twelve hours."

"Twelve hours?!" Midoriya gasped.

Bakugo let out a laugh. "Yeah. Guess that magic really took a toll on you, huh?"

"I guess so..." Midoriya muttered, looking down at his hands. The magic wasn't there anymore. He no longer felt the mystical presence around him. Everything was still and quiet. "Where am I?" he asked.

"You're in the half n half bastard's castle. Don't worry, you're safe."

"Good," Midoriya acknowledged. "Good..."