Chapter Seven: Ostus

Kirishima was practically sparkling

Kirishima was practically sparkling. This seemed like a dream, and such a wonderful one at that! For the first time in his life, he was in an Emberium village!

He ran ahead quickly to follow the cobblestone paths, just like a free wolf would dash through the woods. He couldn't help but admire every aspect of the town. "Look at these clothes! They're so different from the ones back at home! These foods are so peculiar! Everything here is so exotic and unique. I don't think I can hold in my excitement!"

Midoriya trailed behind him, breathing in the smell of the village. Children ran through the streets, playing and giggling in their small groups. The sounds of conversations and chatter echoed through the buildings. Different houses, made of wood and stone, were resting of the plots. A small group of citizens were playing instruments, their cases open by their feet for money. Midoriya took a large breath. He could taste the sweet bread from the nearby bakery and the dirt kicked up from under the paths. It's been a while since he's been to a village, but it reminded him of home.

Kirishima ran up to a deck where a blacksmith was working. "Excuses me sir!" he called out. The older man wiped his forehead and looked down. "What metals do you use to make the swords?"

"Um, steel?" the man answered, confused. He held up his hammer and continued to smash the bright orange metal.

"What?" Kirishima shouted above the banging. "That's it? But you could add so many melted gems to the mix to make the blade stro-" He was suddenly being pulled off the ledge by another. When he whirled his head around, he saw Midoriya clinging on his arm to pull him away. Slightly saddened, he turned to the swordsman and pleaded, "Hey, I was giving him some good advice!"

"You're not Draconic, remember?" Midoriya tested. "You're just a normal rouge on a normal journey - and you don't know anything about magic!"

"Ah, right, sorry," the other mumbled. "I just... this place is really cool! Are all villages like this?"

"Well, most are. Of course, there are the special towns with their own sense of fame, but this is pretty much it," Midoriya answered.

"Yeah, but look at it in another light!" another voice claimed. Midoriya turned to see Kaminari standing next to them, who was looking just as amazed as the other. "This is a whole new world that we've never seen before. There are new kinds of foods and customs and, oh, I just want to try out everything!"

Midoriya laughed. That sounded perfect right now. They had been walking for almost a week, and Midoriya was bored and tired. It was nice to be with other people, but he missed the authentic feeling of a village. He missed seeing people together, wondering what their story was or what was going to happen next. He missed the satisfaction of completing a quest and seeing how happy the citizens would be. Their faces would light up with something he had never seen before.