Chapter Nine: Escape

The sun rose steadily over the city, slowly waking the people who lived there; yet, there were already others wandering the streets

The sun rose steadily over the city, slowly waking the people who lived there; yet, there were already others wandering the streets. Toga stepped ahead first, keeping her posture in check. She was so happy to see Stain and Muscular dress for the part. Stain wore large black robes that coated his shoulders but flowed behind him, and Muscular wore a long, fur coat to match his white button up top. Today was the day that she would be meeting with the king, and frankly, she was quite excited.

"You need to calm down," Stain told her before leaving. "You're not five. Get a grip."

That went in one ear and out the other. New people always excited her. The castle was also a large reason she was excited. It was magnificent and made of quartz rather than that musky stone castle in Draconia.

She had also heard the best things about King Endeavor, specifically with his family. If the rumors were true, only his youngest son was treated like a prince. Toga wondered why.

She strutted up to the knights protecting the gates. As soon as they saw her, they held up their posture, making themselves seem taller and bigger. They gave off an intimidating sense, like a mother bird protecting her unhatched eggs, but the rogue was not afraid. She held her hands behind her back like a young girl and stopped in front of them. "We have requested an audience with the king yesterday. We were appointed to be here just after dawn."

"State your names," the first knight ordered, his voice firm. He was a different knight than the one before.

"I'm Toga. This is Stain and Muscular."

The second knight withdrew a scroll from her utility belt. She unrolled it and took a second to scan it over. "You're early."

Toga smiled with innocence. "Better early than late. Don't you agree?"

The knight didn't respond. She just rolled up the scroll and returned it. "I will take you to the king. I'll return shortly after."

"Make haste," the other knight responded, and he looked ahead into the distance.

Toga smiled to herself. This day was going perfectly! All she needed to do was continue this act and get the king to favor her.

The knight opened the gates and led them in. Beyond the golden bars were paths made of quartz. Every time Toga stepped, her shoes made a clicking sound on the trails. Infinite red roses colored the gardens and every corner in between. Before the castle was a grand fountain. Water spewed out of it and into the air, creating twinkles that shimmered in Toga's eyes. The castle was so much larger now that she was actually seeing it, and it was much more grand than that excuse of a castle in Draconia.

The knight led them to the doors, where four more stood guard. She went up to one and said, "Iida, you are to lead these three to the meeting hall. They have scheduled a meeting with the king."

"Of course," he responded. As the first knight began to walk back to the gates, he gasped. He took his helmet off, blue hair falling onto his eyes, and smiled at Muscular. "Good to see you again sir! You fought with a very great technique."