Chapter Eleven: Finally

Tonight was the night

The Moon wasn't out, so the night was darkened naturally. The city below Todoroki's castle was serene and quiet. From his room in the castle, the prince looked at the distance from his window, watching one light from the houses dim after the next.

His room held a mystic glow. Only one candlestick was lit, the wax dripping on the golden plate that held it. His bed was tucked in neatly. The servants never failed to keep his room tidy. Next to his bed, which was placed in the center of the wall on the left, were wardrobes. His sword was placed on a pedestal close to the window. A circular red rug was spread out on the quartz floor. A golden coat rack was tucked away in the corner. The only thing it held was a long, white cloak with a hood. A large painting of his family was displayed on the other side of his room. The room was always kept perfectly clean. Not a single speck of dust could be found.

Despite all of the riches Todoroki has in his room, he still didn't feel loved.

A bag rested on the cotton blankets of his bed. It was leather and sturdy, and it could be slung around his shoulder and worn on his back. The pack contained gold coins and enough rations for five days. A map was also tucked away inside the bag. Even though it was night, the prince wore his full outfit.

A yawn creeped up on him. He rose his arms and stretched. No. He needed to stay awake, no matter how tired he was.

He looked over to his desk, where a single scroll of parchment was displayed. His white quill was placed by the side, and his inkpot was full of the black liquid. He curled up the scroll of parchment. Hopefully, the words were dry by now.

What time was it? Todoroki paced his room, waiting and waiting. Iida said he would be around soon, but it's been hours since then.

Suddenly, there was a knock. "Your majesty, are you in there?"

Todoroki perked his head up at the voice. Relief washed over him. "Yes, Iida."

The door opened up, but only slightly. "The coast is clear. The guards are switching patrols, so now is the best time to get moving."

Todoroki nodded. He rushed over to his bed and slung the bag over his shoulder. He then retrieved the cloak and slid the hood up, hiding his face away in the darkness. Finally, he slid his sword out of the pedestal and fit it into his holster.

He turned to Iida. "Can you recognize me?"

"No, not in this light," the knight responded. Todoroki blew out the candle and ran over to Iida.

"Come," Iida said. "I'll take you through rooms that guards shouldn't be patrolling right now. Try to keep quiet." Todoroki nodded, and he followed.

The halls were eerily quiet. The boy's footsteps bounced off the walls, but Todoroki didn't stop. If they were caught, the would be reported, and if they were reported... the prince didn't want to imagine what could happen.