Epilogue

Epilogue

5 Years Later

Stefan's P.O.V.

I feel my heart begin to pound in my chest as I look into the kitchen where Elena is doing the dishes. I have waited six years for this moment and I couldn't be happier, but this is the most stressed I think I've ever been. I come up behind her and wrap my arms around her, kissing her on the cheek. I hear her sweet, Hugh pitches laugh that I adore.
"What was that for?" She says.
"I have a surprise for you. Will you follow me?" I say, letting her go and pulling her hand away from the dishes.
"Ok. Now close your eyes." I say. "Are they closed?"
"Yes."
Just to be sure, I cover her eyes with my hands and walk behind her, leading her into the living room.
"It smells amazing in here. What is that?"
"I lit a few candles." And by a few, I mean 20. They are surrounding us, setting what I hope is a romantic atmosphere. I love my hands from her eyes and say, "Ok. Now you can look."
When she opens her eyes, she puts her hands up to her mouth, covering her smile. Her eyes are starting to tear up.
"Do you like it?" I ask.
"I love it! But what's the occasion?" She asks.
I click the play button on my phone and begin singing the song I wrote specially for her.(AUTHORS NOTE- I DID NOT WRITE THIS SONG, IT WAS WRITTEN BY BENJ PASEK AND JUSTIN PAUL FOR EPISODE 17 OF THE FLASH SEASON 3 AND IS PERFORMED BY GRANT GUSTIN. For the full effect, I linked the song and I suggest you listen to it while you read this part!)
"Can't say how the days will unfold. Can't change what the future may hold. But, I want you in it. Every hour, every minute." I sing this as I lead her into the center of the heart of rose petals I arranged for her. She begins to cry more as I continue singing.
"This world can race by far too fast, hard to see while it's all flying past. But, it's clear now, when you're standing here now, I am meant to be wherever you are next to me." I take both of her hands as I sing this part. As I begin to sing the chorus, I start to walk around her, giving her a hug from behind and swaying with her. "All I want to do, is come running home to you. Come running home to you. And all my life I promise to keep running home to you. Keep running home to you." When I begin to sing the next verse, I turn on the tv and play the slideshow of pictures of the two of us throughout these past six years that I arrange. She watches the pictures and smiles at them, crying while looking at all the memories. I start singing the next verse, singing, "And I could see it, right from the start, right from the start that you would be my light in the dark, light in the dark. Oh, you gave me no other choice but to love you. All I want to do is come running home to you. Is come running home to you. Come running home to you. And all my life I promise to keep running home to you. Keep running home to you." It's at this part that the slide show ends and three words show on the screen saying I Love You. I'm standing in front of her and I get down on one knee, pulling out the engagement ring I bought. It's a three carat diamond with two smaller ones on the side, and the band is an infinity symbol. When I saw it, all I could think about was her. As I'm down on one knee, I finish my song. "Can't say how the days will unfold. Can't change what the future may hold. But, I want you in it. Every hour, every minute." When the song is finished, I open the box with the ring in it and ask her, "Elena Gilbert. I love you with every piece of my heart. You make me whole. You make me happier. You make me better, and I don't want to live another day without you being my wife. So please, will you make me the happiest man in the world, and be my wife? Will you marry me?"
She's crying and isn't able to speak, but with one nod of her head, my heart soars. She said yes. I put the ring on her finger, getting up, and give her a big hug. When I pull away, she's able to speak and says, "I love you so much. That song was so beautiful."
"I wrote it for you." She holds my face in her hands and kisses me.
"The ring is absolutely beautiful."
"I'm glad you like it."
"Like it? I love it!"
We hug for a little bit longer, neither of us wanting this moment to end.

* * *
One week later

Elena and I walk in to Scott and Allison's rehearsal dinner together. They both walk up to us and give us hugs, Scott giving me a pat on the back.
"I'm so happy for you two!" Allison says, giving me a hug.
"Thank you. I think it was a long time coming." I say, looking down at Elena, I give her a sweets where my arm is wrapped around her waist.
"So... how did you propose?" Allison asks. Before I can answer, Elena interjects, answering the question herself.
"He did it similarly to how Scott proposed to you, but he sang me the most beautiful song he wrote for me. It was so sweet."
"That's so cute! Stefan, will you be singing it at the wedding?"
"I don't think so. Singing for Elena is one thing, for other people, I'd have to be really drunk." I chuckle.
The next day at Scott and Allison's wedding, Elena and I are standing across the aisle from each other at Scott and Allison's sides as the best man and bridesmaid. Our eyes meet every once in a while, and when they do, she smiles at me. I mouth, "I love you" to her and she mouths it back. I can't help but think what it will be like at our wedding.
After the wedding, we are dancing together, and like Elena can read my mind c she says, "I can't wait for it to be our wedding. But if I may put in some suggestions, I would like it smaller than Klaus and Caroline's, bigger than Scott and Allison's, and before Stiles and Lydia's."
"Done." I say, leaning closer to her during our dance and giving her a kiss.