Chapter Three

Elena's P.O.V.

The bell rings, and I hurry out of that classroom, wanting time to get to my next class. Allison has been showing me around and has been very helpful, but I know she has to get to her own classes. Right as I leave, I can see Stefan turning to talk to me. I want nothing more than to talk to him, but I have to get to my locker and my next class. School before boys. That's what I promised myself. Not that I was some whore at my last school. I had maybe 3 boyfriends, none of them very serious or lasting that long. But still, I need to take school seriously. I didn't at my last school, this can be a fresh start. I get to my locker and start trying to open it. 10...18...12. I pull up on the handle, but it doesn't budge. I try it again. 10...18...12. Still nothing. Third times the charm. 10...18...12. Still nothing! I turn around in frustration, not wanting to see those stupid spinning numbers. I cry out in anger, then look around to check if anyone is staring. No one is, they all only care about themselves. No. Someone is staring. It's like I can feel a pair of eyes on me. I start looking around to see who those set of eyes belongs to. Then I see them. Those beautifully mesmerizing green eyes. He's smiling at me. Trying not to laugh at my anger. I give him a defeated smile. Subtly saying I need help. As if he can read my mind, he starts walking over here, cutting through the hallways as if he owns the school and I am the only thing in his sights. It's kind of intimidating, but in a way, also kind of hot.
"Need some help?" He says, with a familiar phrase from this morning and a familiar smile that he's offered me many times today. It's almost dazzling. His teeth are so white, and his eyes slightly crinkle at the edges when he smiles, but not in a way that makes him look old. In fact, paired with his slight dimples, it makes him look slightly younger.
"I can't get this stupid locker open."
"Here, let me see." He says, and I hand him my slip of paper.
When he's looking at it, he smiles. I'm not sure why, but then I remember. I've drawn all over it. That would be too bad if it was just regular drawings, and there's some on there. There's a tree, a couple of hearts. But I know what he's smiling at. The biggest drawing, the one with the most detail and though, is an eye. An eye that closely resembles his. I even added the light green to the iris. Ugh. He must think I'm such a loser. I just couldn't stop seeing his eyes in my head during history, and I was so bored. But he didn't respond. He didn't walk away thinking I'm a weirdo. He just smiles and began to turn the dial on my locker. With three easy turns, he opens it, as if it was no big deal. I miss my last school where the lock was more similar to a coded bike lock.
"Those drawings are really good. You're very talented." He says, not bringing up the drawing of his eye.
"Thank you. I just start to doodle when I'm bored." I say, blushing. But not out of flattery, I've been complemented for my drawings all the time, I'm blushing out of embarrassment. I just hope he can't tell.
I walk up to my locker. Suddenly realizing I have to go quick to my next class. Stefan moves over to the next locker and leans against it, looking at me.
"Easy killer." He says with a laugh. How can he laugh right now? He doesn't even have his books and the halls are emptying by the second.
"I can't. I have to get to class. Why aren't you frantically running to class right now?"
"I have lunch. And, I couldn't help but see, you have it too. So, you can relax. You're not going to be late." He says, his voice soothing me. He's very good with words. I heard him change his inflection and way of speaking when he walked into the classroom and started talking to Mr. Saltzman. He knows how to get what he wants, and that makes me very scared.
"You can eat lunch with me and my friends if you want." He says, breaking me free of my daze.
"Um... yeah. Sure that'd be great."
"Great! I'll show you where we sit."
He walks me over to a table that is full. There's only one seat open, and I'm guessing it's reserved for him. I am about to turn around when he grabs my arm.
"Where are you going?" He says. Slightly hurt by the fact that I started to walk away.
"There's only one seat there, I was going to find somewhere else to sit." I say, trying to walk away again.
"No. I'll make room. It's fine, just, please, come sit with us." He says.
"I don't want to impose. Really, it's ok." I say, I try to pull away from him again, but his grip is too strong.
"You won't be. I'll make them move. They kind of do whatever I say. Let's go." He says, pulling me forwards.
"Guys, this is Elena. Elena, this is Scott, Allison, Stiles, Lydia, Klaus, and Caroline." He says pointing to six people. Scott and Allison are clearly dating, he's holding her hand as she leans into him. Stiles and Lydia are dating, he has his arm around her and they're talking as if they're in their own little world. Klaus and Caroline are also dating, I can tell because they're arguing like an old married couple, but the looks in each of their eyes is full of such admiration.
"Hey, what about me?" The guys sitting next to the empty seat said, hitting Stefan in his abdomen. Stefan looked down. The person he was looking at was skinny. He had tall blonde hair and blue eyes. He was dressed very nice, clearly very rich.
"Elena, this is Jackson. Jackson, move. Elena's going to sit there." Stefan says, patting him on the shoulder. It's clear Stefan doesn't like him very much.
"What? Why me, what about Isaac?" Jackson complains. He is such a basic rich kid.
"Isaac doesn't need to be the center of attention. Now move." Stefan says, glaring at him.
Jackson picks up his stuff and walks to the empty seat at the very end of the table, throwing his stuff on the floor and huffing into his seat. He looks over at us, pouting. But it's clear he's not angry with me. Thank god.
"Elena." Stefan says, pulling out the chair where Jackson was sitting. I smile at him and sit down. Everyone looking at me. Even Stiles, Lydia, Klaus, and Caroline broke out of their little worlds to see what this was. Clearly they weren't used to this.
"Hey Elena! I'm so sorry I haven't been able to help you lately. My classes are all over the place." Allison says, extending her arm out to me in a sign of sympathy.
"It's fine, I've had some pretty good help." I say, smiling at Stefan. Everyone looks over at Stefan. He's blushing, but trying to remain cool.
"Hey! You should totally come to my party Friday night!" Allison says, clapping. Scott is smiling at her. They're very cute together.
"Umm... I'll think about it." I say, looking down at my food.
I can feel Stefan's eyes on me.
"It's going to be so much fun. You should really come." Stefan says.
"I don't know. I'll think about it."
Lunch is pretty boring after this. Stefan, Scott, Stiles, and Klaus talk about baseball. Allison, Lydia, and Caroline talk about how they want to go shopping before the party.
Stefan looks over at me and tries to talk to me a couple times. I would usually want to talk to him, just, right here, I don't really feel comfortable. So, instead, I just give him few word answers. I rarely look up at him when I talk to him, and even when I did, I could tell he was hurt by my lack of conversation.
When lunch was over, I got up and left the table. Stefan came up from behind me, lightly touching my arm so I would slow down. When we got to my locker he asked me again.
"Please come to the party?"
I look at him. He has puppy dog eyes and a pouty lip. He's good.
"Fine. But only if you stay right by my side the entire night." I say, holding out my fist, my pinky sticking out towards him.
"Fine." He says, wrapping his pinky around mine. I don't know why I still use a "pinky promise" since I'm in high school, I just never stopped using it. It's just a regular promise for me, only it is seared with the wrapping of our pinkies. He starts to walk away but I call out,
"Wait!" He stops and turns around to face me.
"Yes?"
"Can you show me where my next class is?" I say, handing him back the piece of paper with the drawing of his eye.
"You have gym. It's right by the front door. You'll see that there's a sign that says girls locker room where you'll normally change into shorts or leggings and a t-shirt. Then, you go through the door into the gym where you'll meet up with your class. Lydia is in your class, so, find her. I'll be waiting for you outside the girls locker room to help you to your next class. Ok?" He says. And I smile. I'm glad he's being so nice to me. It means a lot. I nod my head and walk off towards my class, but not before I turn my head one last time to watch him walk away. Then I go to my class, not wanting to be late.
* * *
After Class:

When I walk out of the locker room and turn the corner, I see Stefan leaning against the wall, waiting for me like he said he'd be. I walk over to him, smiling.
"Hey. I wish I could stay and talk, but my next class is on the other side of the school. I saw earlier that you were going to English, it's just down that hallway, take a left turn, and it's the first classroom on your right. Good luck. I'll see you tonight!" He says, running off. It feels good to have someone waiting for me after my class just because they want to help me. And now, I can't wait for the party to start, because I'll have time to talk to him and get to know the guy that is, Stefan Salvatore.
-
-
-
Authors note:

I hope you liked this chapter! They're slowly starting to become closer to each other! It would mean a lot to me if you would share this story! Also, follow me on Instagram for another AU and for updates on when I post a new chapter! @stellijah