TWENTY

KILDARE COUNTY, home of the Outer Banks, Paradise on Earth

KILDARE COUNTY, home of the Outer Banks, Paradise on Earth. Well, a paradise for most people who aren't a fugitive of the law. The small town was flooded with people looking for a sixteen-year-old male with dark brown hair. Overnight the SBI had been called in on an emergency, apparently, an innocent teenage boy on the loose was a state-wide emergency.

Kamden had slipped out of the closet before the sun had risen. She left a small note on the comforter next to John B. When he was sleeping was the only time he was at peace, and Kamden couldn't bear to wake him. She had to try and tell the truth. Kamden let her feet carry her through the neighborhood until she ended up at the lighthouse. This lighthouse was fully functional, unlike Redfield. There were white tents and trucks set up on every inch of land.

Kamden sighed as she walked through the site. Men and women alike were crowded around small bulky computers and radar screens. Another storm was supposed to hit the Outer Banks. Kamden stopped outside of a large white tent with a table in the middle. She stepped forward, but a guard stepped in front of her.

"Ma'ma, I'm sorry only authorized personnel at this point."

Kamden looked over his shoulder at the men chattering over the table.

"Is this all for John B?"

The man held her back as she looked around.

"Look, official orders are for locals to shelter and report sightings to law enforcement." He stated.

Kamden shook her head as the man spoke.

"No, no. He is not armed, and I promise he is not dangerous." Kamden stepped forward and tried to walk past the man.

"Okay, we'll take a statement." He pushed her back by her shoulders.

Kamden continued to object as she tried to move past the man. The guard held Kamden back as she tried to push past him. He grabbed her arm and pulled her away from the tent.

"Ma' am, relax." He said calmly. "Come with me."

"No, no you don't understand." She fought against his hold. "Let go fo me!"

A bald man with the letters SBI printed of the back of his shirt walked past Kamden. She called after him as he slowly looked up.

"Mr. SBI man!" She tried to pull away from the man holding her. "I was on the tarmac with Sheriff Peterkin. I know what happened."

The bald man walked towards her. He nodded for the guard to leave. Kamden panted as she calmed down and looked at the SBI officer.

"How can I help you ma' am?" He asked.

Kamden panted as she struggled for words. Ward emerged from the white tent they were standing next to.

"There you are!" He called as he spotted Kamden. "I've been looking everywhere for you."