ELEVEN

THE SUN HAD FALLEN and left behind beautiful darkness

THE SUN HAD FALLEN and left behind beautiful darkness. Rixon's Cove was a small clearing that overlooked the ocean. It was about a mile from Hawk's Nest National Park. Rixon's Cove was surrounded by trees and had two fallen logs next to a makeshift fire pit.

The Pogues sat around a small fire. Kiara and JJ were sitting on one of the logs and John B and Kamden were across from them on the other. John B was close to Kamden, but not so close that it seemed strange. Neither of them had figured out how they would tell the Pogues about yesterday. Pope paced back and forth beside them.

"Hey, guys." He sighed. "So, like, my dad's already gonna kill me, so what's this mandatory meeting about?"

JJ and John B looked at each other. John B did finger guns towards JJ.

"Might as well tell him, man, before we're gaffed," JJ said as he threw a stick in the fire.

John B looked among his friends. Pope sat down next to Kiara and looked at John B eagerly.

"So, the gold never went down with the Royal Merchant."

Pope sighed as he rubbed his eyes.

"Here we go again, with this."

"No, hear me out, all right?" John B said over Pope. "It's been here the whole time. It's on the island."

"Are you serious?" Kiara asked in disbelief.

Pope leaned forward and raised his hand.

"I'd like to voice my skepticism."

John B stood up and walked around the fire.

"I'm sure you would, Pope, but can I please present you with my evidence, sir?"

Pope looked over at John B and pursed his lips

"Proceed."

John B walked over to his backpack and pulled out a slip of paper.

"I have a letter from Denmark Tanny."

"Who the hell's that?" Kiara asked.

John B pointed to Kam.

"Kam, here is our professional historian."

She rolled her eyes before she spoke.

"Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived the Royal Merchant wreck. " John B handed the letter to Kiara as Kamden spoke. "Slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but my dad found the complete manifest. Tanny used the gold from the Merchant to buy his freedom. After that, he bought his farm."

John B stepped forward and smiled.

"Drumroll, please," JJ slapped his knees. "Because that farm is. . .Tannyhill Plantation."

"Tannyhill?" Kiara inquired as she folded the letter back up.

"Well, after that he used his money to free even more slaves, and then he sold a shit-ton of rice, which pissed off all the white planters, so they lynched him." Kamden continued as she glanced over at Kiara.