SEVENTEEN

THE DAWN BROUGHT A NEW FRESHNESS to the light as if the world could have been upgraded to some higher definition

THE DAWN BROUGHT A NEW FRESHNESS to the light as if the world could have been upgraded to some higher definition. Ward was leaning over the edge of his balcony, taking in the view of the ocean one last time. Penelope's heels clicked as she walked up behind him.

"Sweetie?" She rubbed his back. "Car's packed."

Ward nodded softly.

"God knows if I'm ever gonna get to see this view again." He sighed.

Penelope looked over at him.

"Don't be melodramatic, Ward. It's just the Bahamas."

"I'm not being melodramatic, all right?" He turned to Penelope. "The boy knows about his father." Penelope became stiff.

"For one year, John B has gone to bed every single night wondering what happened to his father."

"And Kamden?" Penelope asked as she looked at Ward. "She has experienced the same thing and here you are sweeping her and Sarah away to the Bahamas."

Ward looked over at her.

"They were suffering together and they had no idea."

"What choice did we have Ward?" Penelope asked. Ward shook his head slightly. "Okay, so don't worry about it."

Ward sighed as he looked forward.

"Did you talk to the people in Nassau?"

"Caribbean National is set to take possession as soon as my wheels hit the ground."

"Okay, then it's done." Penelope smiled. "Baby, you did it. It's over."

Ward smiled as he leaned down to kiss Penelope. Sarah and Kamden came around the corner. Ward looked over at them.

"Let's get going." He smiled at them.

He walked out the front door of the house and towards the car. Kamden looked over at Sarah.

"You need to get to the Pogues." She whispered.

Sarah looked over her. Ward's back turned to them as he shoved bags in the trunk. Kamden nodded as she looked over at Sarah.

Sarah took off running down the driveway and by the time Ward turned around she was gone. He looked at Kamden noticed her disappearance.

"Sarah!" He shouted.

Penelope appeared in the doorway.

"Sorry, Ward." Kamden smiled. "She's gone."

Ward sighed as he looked over at Kamden. He grabbed her arm and dragged her to the car.

"Good thing I don't need her."

Kamden ripped her arm away as she sat in the car. She looked out the window as Ward drove through Figure Eight. He passed the run-down church and Kamden looked up. She sighed as she remembered the last time she was there.