EIGHTEEN

KIARA'S BLACK SUV pulled up to the police station

KIARA'S BLACK SUV pulled up to the police station. She stopped the car at the front doors. JJ looked over at John B.

"John B, what are we doing at the police station?" He asked.

Pope and Kiara were sitting in the front seat. JJ and Sarah were all the way in the back. John B and Kamden were sitting in the middle row, still covered in blood. John B looked back at JJ.

"Somebody's gotta tell them what happened."

Kiara stopped the car. Pope let out a raspy cough as he blew out smoke from the blunt in his hand. Kamden stared straight ahead as JJ leaned between the two seats.

"All right, I'm just gonna be real with you right now." He sighed as he looked at John B. "You might end up in the lion's den, but you don't go in there on purpose. It's fundamental. Just like my old man always told me, you should never ever trust cops, no matter the circumstance."

Kamden tore her eyes away from her hands looked back at JJ.

"You're old man is an abusive liar." She stated.

"I agree with JJ," Pope spoke up. "Fuck the police."

Kiara turned around and grabbed the blunt from Pope.

"What you goin' to the dark side now?"

"When's the last time the police ever helped us?" Pope retorted as he grabbed the blunt back.

"Peterkin looked out for me, all right?" John B cut in and the car became quiet. "Tried to, at least. They need to know."

John B looked over at Kamden. She nodded slightly. He got out of the car and walked into the station. The entire station was empty, a single woman sat at the front desk looking at a computer.

"Adam, at the clinic." A voice came from the radio on the desk. "Peterkin's still in the ER."

The woman picked up the radio.

"Advise if you need air tran. Copy."

John B slowly walked towards the desk, keeping his blood-stained hands below the edge of it. He looked up at the woman. Static built up on the radio as the woman repeatedly hit the button.

"Excuse me," John B started softly.

"This is not a good time, kid." She put her hands up.

"I know who shot the sheriff." John B said softly.

The woman froze as she looked up at John B.

"You stay put. I'll get a deputy." She pushed her chair out and walked back into the station.

The radio beeps as a new voice came through.

"Central, three Vick. We have a suspect in our 31. John Routledge" John B looked down at the radio. "Sixteen-year-old white male. Six foot. Last seen wearing board shorts, a 'Bad Brains' T-shirt, and a faded red hoodie."