FIVE

REDFIELD LIGHTHOUSE closed due to hurricane

REDFIELD LIGHTHOUSE closed due to hurricane. The only lighthouse in The Outer Banks that served no purpose. The blue and white tower was broken, the light didn't even work, yet somehow it stayed open. It was surrounded by a white picket fence and a small grassy yard.

The van pulled up just outside the fence. The Pogues jumped out and looked up at the tall structure. John B turned to his friends.

"Here's what's gonna happen, you're gonna post up and look out for bogeys, okay?" John B said to JJ.

"Wait, why me?"

"You're not coming," Kamden informed as she looked away from the lighthouse.

"Why?" JJ asked sternly.

"Look, there are independent and dependent variables," Pope stated as he grabbed JJ's shoulder. "You're independent. We don't know what you'll do-"

"Shut up!" JJ interrupted as he brushed Pope's hand away.

"Listen to me for a second." John B stated. "Pope, Kiara, you stay and look out with JJ. If we get slipt up we meet back at JJ's house."

"Great." Kiara agreed.

JJ sighed as he walked back towards the van. Pope started talking about his scholarship essay. Kamden and John B jumped over the small fence and into the yard around the lighthouse. The door of the lighthouse as cracked open. Kamden pushed it open and looked up at the tall staircase.

"Remind me what we're looking for again." She said as she looked up.

"We'll know when we see it." John B started to walk up the stairs.

The structure creaked with every step on the metal staircase. The kids traveled up the winding staircase until they came to a short metal door. John B turned and looked at Kamden for assurance before he knocked on the door. He waited for a second the turned to Kamden.

"Nobody home."

The metal door creaked open and an older man poked his head out. His face was coated with sweat and he had thin glasses perched on the bridge of his nose. John B turned around.

"Uh...we're here for the lighthouse." He spoke softly.

"The lighthouse is closed." The man said with a gruff voice.

The man closed the door.

"Actually, we aren't here about the lighthouse." John B looked back at Kamden. "We're, uh, here about the Royal Merchant."

The door slowly opened and the man stared at them. His face was serious.

"You came to the right place."

He opened the door wider and welcomed the two kids inside. The man led them through the small room and outside. He swung another open a door and stepped out onto the balcony around the top of the lighthouse.