E I G H T Y

C H A P T E R E I G H T Y

When some people would never get to see the emperor, Hayoon managed to meet him within a day after entering the palace. How she wished this day wouldn't come that early, or more exact, she wished that it wouldn't come at all. Coming to this place, Hayoon only wished to silently accompany Han, without anyone knowing, but fate always had its way to surprise her.

She was right in front of the emperor and he had asked her a question, but there was no way she could answer truthfully.

"This servant's name is Ahn..." Hayoon said, not daring to meet his eyes.

"Ahn?" the emperor replied, slight surprised by her name, although it was a prettty common one. Ahn, which means safe.

"Interesting..."

The empress fixed her curious gaze on Hayoon. It was as if she felt something familiar with her, although she couldn't pinpoint it out.

"Judging from the way you treated his highness hand, it didn't seem like bandaging was your first time," the lady next to Han spoke, not giving Hayoon a moment in piece.

"Do you have knowledge in medicine?"

"Only a little," Hayoon answered.

"Maybe you can teach me a little." The lady requested. "Maybe I'll be of some help to my future husband if I know a little about medicinal practices."

"If her ladyship wants, you can always seek advice from the palace's royal physician. They are more knowledgeable and have expertise in that field. Besides, her ladyship is of noble status, mending with the servant might affect your reputation," the empress cut in. Sharply.

Was the empress trying to keep her in check, or was it just Hayoon's imagination?

The mood dived, as the empress had finished her words. It wasn't only Hayoon that felt it, Han and the emperor felt it too.

The two women were keeping their guard up, belittling the servant by reminding her of the status of a lowly maid. But why would they feel threatened? She was just a mere maid. Or were they wrong?

"Well Ahn, the reason you are summoned to his place is of no other reason that I want to reward you for serving the prince. So tell me is there something you wish for?" As a change of air, the emperor spoke up, diverting the tense atmosphere with another topic.

Hayoon wasn't the humble type, to let go of such a chance like getting a wish granted. However she didn't wish to make a bigger impact on the emperor, so she was left with no choice but to be the boring servant, who didn't want anything in return for her loyalty. In that way, she could probably cast herself in the dark corner of the emperor's memory.

"Serving his highness is only a way to express my gratitude, it is nothing grand that Ahn dares ask for a reward," Hayoon spoke.

The emperor looked at Han before back at Hayoon.

"You are well taught," the emperor complimented. With his way of speaking, Hayoon thought that he found her answer boring, little did she know that the reaction from the empress and the foreign lady had made him curious about her, although he on the surface was pretending not to.