H U N D R E D

C H A P T E R H U N D R E D

It was no surprise, that whenever things turned dangerous, Han would be the one people think about.

It was the same with Hayoon when she traveled to Great Yong. No one dared to take the task of fetching her, besides Han, who had just returned from the border.

Although the rebellion of the Southern States was removed, there was still a high chance of ambush and assassins when the foreign lady, or should we say the empress of Southern State, was on her way back.

Unfortunately, no candidate was better than Han, he was both a brilliant general, a skilled swordsman and he was acknowledged with the terrains.

If the Emperor of Great Yong sends his best man to protect the empress of Southern State, she would never forget the sincerity and it would only strengthen the two countries' bond. Han would become the Hero of both countries, bringing honor to his nation but also gain respect from the people of the Southern State. It was hitting two birds with one arrow.

"You'll be rewarded greatly when you return." The emperor stated, tossing a sentence that appeared like an unappetizing bait.

A bigger worry for Hayoon was if he returns. And if he was able to return as the way he left. With the dangers that lured around, Hayoon didn't even know the chances of him getting unscratched out of this.

Han stole glances of Hayoon from the corner of his eyes. She looked uncomfortable, her eyes were telling more than a thousand words that she didn't want him to leave.

Don't go.

Don't.

"Han, I hope you haven't forgotten about the promise you made with me?" The emperor urged, reminding Han that he still owed the emperor a favor as compensation for breaking into the royal dungeon.

There was no way he wouldn't remember. Han had waited anxiously for the day where the emperor would summon him, he just didn't know it happens to be today, and for this reason. There would be consequences if Han rejected. Han was sure of that. The emperor must have been planning something and that was why he waited a some days and not calling him immediately.

"His majesty," The empress coaxed her husband with the bittersweet affection of hers. Her innocent smile as lethal as the venom of a snake. It made Hayoon wonder how blind the emperor must be too think that this imposter was Hayoon.

"There is no way his highness would disobey, I'm sure he is just overwhelmed by the news. Isn't it right royal brother?"

If Hayoon could, she would make the empress eat every word she said. It made her disgusted to think that a woman like that, walked around and stained her name.

"Please give me a couple of days to decide, his majesty," Han replied.

"A week should be sufficient for you to think it through," The emperor said with leisure.

"At that time, I hope you won't disappoint me,"

Hayoon could see the triumphant glint in the empress's eyes as if she already knew what Han would say, and Hayoon was worried that it would turn into reality.

The meeting was fastly dismissed and they could return to the prince's wing.

Han and Hayoon didn't say a single word when on their way back. The happy atmosphere that surrounded them for the previous few days was taken away and replaced with silence. Hayoon did her best to keep a composed expression. It was only when she entered Han's chamber, within a space which only allowed the two of them, that she dared to let the mask fall.

"Don't go," Hayoon said, her voice low and hinted nervousness which she had tried hide.

"I haven't said I will go," Han replied as if he had not been hesitating at all. Hayoon wouldn't let his words mislead her anymore, she wasn't going to fall for them. Although Han had not said that he wanted to go, he didn't reject the idea either.

The emperor's words still lingered as a haunting cry at the corner of her head as an evil omen. Repeating again and again.

"What promise did you make with the emperor?"

"It's nothing, don't mind it."

"Lies," Hayoon's voice hinted with betrayal.

It was a lie even a kid wouldn't buy. There was something Han wasn't telling her, and she hated to be put behind the shadows. He was always like this, secretive and distant whenever things turned tense. Hayoon hated when her emotions got the best of her, but it wasn't a thing she could control. She was upset and irritated, and couldn't veil it although she wished to.

"After all you'll make the same decision again," she said with a hurt voice.

"My opinion didn't matter in the first place,"

As Han was about to say something, a voice outside interrupted and put a halt on their conversation.

"His highness, the foreign lady seeks your audience," the eunuch announced from the other side of the door. The appearance of foreign lady only filled more fuel to the fire. The atmosphere was ruined anyway so it was maybe for the better.

Han didn't fail to see the anger in Hayoon's eyes. He grabbed her hand the moment she was about to leave. It earned him a glare, her eyes trailed from his hand and then back at him as if asking him to let go, but Han didn't agree to.

"We are not finished," he said.

"I'm done,"

"We are not," Han said firmly.

"We can talk now or after I send the lady back. You decide." 

Even if he had to offend the Empress of the Southern State, Han wasn't going to end it this way. How Hayoon wished he wouldn't place her in a position to determine the outcome, cause it would leave her with no choice in the end. She felt at loss for being pushed in such a situation.

"Fine," Hayoon agreed with a refrained voice, her fingers balled into a fist.

"We will talk later."

She wanted to go, leaving the chamber for the two to talk, but Han told her to stay. Instead of having a conversation in his chamber, he wanted to do it in an open place.

"Wait for me," his eyes locked to hers as he said those words.

"Okay." Hayoon replied.

A/N: a small double update, thank you for your patience 💛