H U N D R E D A N D O N E

C H A P T E R    H U N D R E D A N D O N E

Han walked next to the beautiful lady in the remote garden of his. The servants walked behind them while securing the distance for privacy so the two could talk. Although the scenery was plain and simple, it looked as if it was taking out from a painting, while the two people appeared as a pair matched by heavens.

Han knew what people were thinking, and although he didn't share the same thought like them, he found himself feeling guilty.

"You are really a man of few words his highness?" The foreign lady said, breaking the silence that has grown between them. Absorbed in his own thoughts, Han didn't know that he has been too indifferent towards the lady, who is no different from his savior.

"My apologize... her highness," Han apologized.

As she was going to be an empress soon, Han quickly adjusted his way of addressing her.

"I've heard you are still contemplating the offer of companying me back to the Southern State? Is it too much to ask why?"

In fact, Han wasn't hesitant due to the danger, but because he knew there were more reasons why he was chosen. He was aware of the intention of the foreign lady and was afraid he couldn't give her what she was looking for. He was grateful to her, but she was expecting more than gratitude.

"I'm afraid that her highness is looking for more than a companion for a single trip,"

Her cheeks blushed slightly as a grin curved her lips in a shy smile. Well, seems like the prince had seen through her plans of making him her partner. She had made it pretty obvious to be exact, so it wasn't a surprise that he caught on.

"You are right," Showing no sign of shyness the lady frankly replied.

"I want you to rule beside me as the Emperor of Southern State."

Han stopped in his track, causing the servants behind them to halt too. He turned at the lady who tilted her head slightly while returning him a friendly smile.

The lady veiled her insecurity with a bold brazenness. Of course, any girl would feel nervous when confessing their feelings. She was no different than other girls. Her heart beat faster than usual and without knowing her hands were balled up in a tight fist underneath the wide sleeves.

She felt inferior when she just was a runaway princess, but even though she was in the position to become an empress, she still felt small when they were together. He was the man she has been dreaming of. From the moment she first met Han, his image had been engraved in her mind.

She was ashamed of herself to not be able to confess her feeling without using her power as the bait to win over a man's heart. But that was how eager she was. Nothing went the way she wished, she was never able to really catch his attention from the first place, and during the banquet, she didn't get the chance to get closer to Han.

Han turned his gaze back at the servants. By his simple gesture, the servants retreated moving a few more meters behind.

"I'll pretend as if I haven't heard these words," Han said, his tone serious.

Did he reject me? Without even considering?

"Is it because of that maiden?" The words spilled out before she realized it. It wasn't very lady-like, but she realized it too late.

Han couldn't deny the fact that Hayoon played a crucial factor in his fast answer.

"Aren't you lowering yourself too much for a mere servant? When you become the emperor you can get everything,"

"If I can't get what I want, it doesn't matter if I get everything else,"

"What if you can get both? It is normal for a man to have multiple wives, and I'm fine with you having courtesans and concubines."

His eyes narrowed while he tried to focus on her words. Han didn't know if he was mishearing or that the lady was speaking ahead of her thoughts. Han never expected to hear those words. His silence was of confusion, but the foreign lady saw it as hesitation, and she gained a little bit of confidence from that.

"Two years ago I attended the royal hunt of Great Yong. It was the first time I saw his highness. While the other royal princes looked down on Southern State for having no competent male candidate, his highness wasn't disregarding me. You greeted me with courtesy despite what everyone else said, you even helped me when they cornered me at the hunting ground..." The lady took in a shaking breath as she continued.

"I was grateful for his highness' kindness and grew feelings for you back then. At that time I was only a good for nothing princess and couldn't offer you anything, hence I didn't dare to approach you. But, it is different now. I am the successor to the throne and I can help you and support you in everything. I'm not using you to secure my seat as the empress if that is what you think..."

It was the first time Han really felt this at loss for words towards the lady in front of him. She wasn't the bold and confident image he remembered, if any she appeared shy and timid. Han didn't even know she possessed such a side. It made him taken aback by surprise.

He had long thought that the lady simply fancied him, but he didn't expect there was such a story to their relation.

"I'm honored that her highness thinks that highly of me," Han said, as he poured his attention on her.

"Her highness is a beautiful lady. I have always admired your positive personality and brightness. But had I shared mutual feelings your background wouldn't have mattered in the first place. Furthermore, as you might already know, I have a person in mind... and I can't see my future with anyone else."

It hurt to know that you have fallen for the right person while knowing there was no future for the two of you. The lady had already expected rejection, but it still hurt when Han draw the line.

The lady batted her eyelids, trying to maintain the composed facade, yet it was harder than thought. It was difficult enough to confess her feelings, and now she was facing rejection. Pretending that all of this didn't affect her... would be hard for even the greatest actor.

"When I said you could take in a courtesan, was there a part of you that wavered?" She asked in a low voice, not daring to look at him in the eye.

"No,"

"Then what did the sudden silence mean?"

"A sign of courtesy," Han replied.

Had he rejected immediately, the lady's feeling might get hurt. Pretending to consider her offer, was his last token of courtesy.

"You answer right away with such confidence. In all honest his highness, had you given this a lot of thoughts?" The lady said, trying to force a smile on her lips. She tried to prolong their conversation, although it wasn't in the direction she wished it would be.

"Not even once.." Han answered with all honesty.

"I grew up, watching my mother be the victim for sharing her love with many others. It was painful to see her tears. I don't want to make another person suffer the way she did."

A/N: Another double update for my supportive readers. 🥳 You've stayed for over 100 chapters 🤭and helped me so much!💗