T W E N T Y S E V E N

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y S E V E N

"How did your highness even get into the secret passage?" Suspicious and cautious as always, to no one's surprise, Han was not gullible in any sense, Hayoon had to be headstrong dealing with him. Intentionally or not Hayoon helped a criminal in escaping. Since it already happened she should stay thick-skinned and play dumb. But truth is, she didn't regret it the slightest bit. Was she given a second chance, Hayoon would have done the same.

"If your guard did not blocking my way to see you, I wouldn't have to take such measurements." Hayoon being impulsive and rash in order to get what she wants was more convincing than her being emphatic. Her lie was bought by the major part of people in this room. It was cowardly to throw the baton to Gwan, but she saw no other way to divert the attention than tossing it at others. If Hayoon didn't come out strong Han would just be more suspicious, she was no timid girl and he more than anyone know it, did she kept silent to every question Han would find it more suspicious.

"So what did your highness want to talk about?" Though speaking as he bought her lie, she knew putting the guards down would be too naive, he was a commander on the field, he would not be easily convinced. But since the conversation had taken that turn it was much for the better.

"What did you fed Yoon to make her take your side?"

"Your highness-"

"You stay out of this!" Hayoon regarded Yoon a glare before turning her gaze steadfast at Han. His expression indifferent as ever, making one wonder if the prince could pull any other expression.

"Lady Yoon is thoughtful and smart. I can hardly be at blame for the actions of another intellectual."

"Had you not requested to secretly sneak me out, that gullible girl wouldn't do it," Hayoon snarled.

"Instead of providing a reason to sneak out, I pretended to be blind and let lady Yoon take her highness out. If anyone was of blame it would be for your highness recklessness that caused Lady Yoon to act differently than what she was trained to."

"You-"

"Prince Han only wants you the best." Hayoon was cut in by Yoon.

"You don't know a thing!" Hayoon protested.

"You think he is doing this out of the good heart? He is not, he is a manipulating cunning existence who calculates his every step!"

Gwan restlessly couldn't take the insult towards his master and was about to step in but was held back by Han's commanding eyes.

"Leave us" by Han's command Gwan made his retreat, though not regarding her any words Yoon understood by the mere look that Han wanted to be alone with her regent. Inclining her head Yoon regarded Hayoon eyes of apologies and followed Gwan's example.

"Stay!" Hayoon ordered but Yoon was not even halting her steps. Yoon already followed his instructs without thinking what her actions meant to Hayoon. Anger clouded her mind, and Hayoon wanted to leave too but Han blocked her path.

"Two-faced," Hayoon said through gritted teeth.

"Her Highness should be careful with her compliments," Han said.

"Spare me for the superficial act!"

Silenced hovered over them as a heavyweight, Han didn't confront her claims, his eyes calm as if waiting for her to explain, but stubbornly she wasn't one to speak up first.

"Accepting all blame given I believe an explanation isn't too much to ask for." Han broke the sentenced silence.

"You really don't know?" Hayoon forced a grin.

"No," Han replied.

"You fed me that idea that Ji Ahn and Ki Young were granted dead because they saw me, but the truth is you could've captured me long before I even met them" Han's silence at the moment was clearer than any evidence, confirming what had only been Hayoon's speculation.

Han had followed her.

What she felt at the market was the exact same feeling she felt when Gwan watched over her last night. She was right in her assumptions. What surprised Hayoon was the brief shivering in the glint of his eyes, as if he was caught in something he didn't expect to be, the tall commander appearing lost was indeed a rare view.

"You could have stopped all that from happening, but you didn't. You wanted to torment me of the guilt of causing their death. Asking Yoon to sneak me out for my own good? Don't make me laugh,"

"So this is what it is all about?." Han said hardly audible. His low tone laced with painful tenderness.

"Your Highness is right. I could have prevented that. But I didn't." His expression hardened the instant his gaze moved from the floor to Hayoon.

"Despicable." Hayoon forced the words, her hands balled in a tight fist as she fought the urge to let her actions have their own opinion.

For the first time, Hayoon saw a smile of the cold prince was one with no sincerity, an empty smile void of genuine amuses.

"Since your highness already figured it out, I'll just get to the point" Han issued his steps towards Hayoon. His steps were cruel and unforgiven forcing her to step back distinctively. Only when her back collided with the wall did Hayoon realize that she was cornered.

"If your highness doesn't want to make the same mistake twice you should act wisely." His advice held a warning intent.

"Who are you going to put on my conscious this time? Yoon?" Hayoon scoffed, appearing unaffected by the threatening existence hovering over her.

"We already confirmed lady Yoon to hold no importance of your highness leniency."

"Who else do you have to threaten me with?" Hayoon said, her eyes challenging. Han leaned closer, eating the distance between their face. His head inclined to space between her shoulder and neck, caressing her delicate skin with his muted whisper.

"How about the prisoner her highness is trying to protect?"

Her eyes drawn to his in wide surprise, without knowing her body reacted before her mind. The fire in Hayoon's eyes lost its fierceness, softened to the point of holding no threat. Hayoon mirrored exactly the expression of Han when she exposed him from following her.

"You knew I saw the prisoner yet pretended not to? You ..." Her voice paralyzed by the sense of betrayal. "You were testing me?"

"Your highness words right now just confirmed what was my pure assumptions."