H U N D R E D A N D F O U R

C H A P T E R   HUNDREDANDFOUR

When arriving at the empress's chamber, Hayoon was treated as some precious guest, making her feel uncomfortable with the exaggerated courtesy of the maids. It made Hayoon feel that the empress had long awaited her arrival, judging from the way the servants were instructed to treat her that kindly.

Hayoon entered the phoenix chamber, and the servants closed the door behind her. The empress sat in the middle of the room, around the round table with lots of delicacies on top of it. A maid was pouring the hot tea into a cup and another served it to the empress. The empress took the cup and lifted it to her mouth.

Closing her eyes, she took in a deep inhale, letting the fragrance of the sweet tea entering her nostrils and bringing a smile to her lips.

"Her highness, the prince's maid has entered," a servant said as if reminding the empress that Hayoon was present.

The empress let the cup of hot brewing tea on the table without taking a single sip. Her gaze fixed on Hayoon, lingering there longer than Hayoon was comfortable with.

"Greetings her highness," Hayoon said.

"I've awaited you Ahn," The empress lifted her hand and dismissed the servants.

When the servants were out, the empress again spoke.

"Seeing you was harder than seeing his majesty," At the end of her sentence the empress curved her lips into a lopsided smile. Hayoon understood that Han hadn't made it easy to see her.

"What did her highness wants to say to me?"

Hayoon's gaze was different from how the empress remembered her. She used to avoid direct eye-contact. To be precise she even trembled under the empress's stare, not even daring to speak out loud, but this time she felt like a different person. As if she was possessed.

"I think I should get an apology for you. You gave me quite a headache for what you did." She demanded.

"But after much consideration, you are going to stay by my brother-in-law's side, hence there would be more occasions for us to meet. There is no need to keep a grudge alive."

As far as Hayoon knows, the empress was at fault and not the other way around. It was ridiculous that she dared to ask for an apology when she appeared as an repenting sinner in front of the audience of Han and the emperor.

"What should I apologize for?" Hayoon asked in oblivion.

The empress's eyes sharpened as she looked at Hayoon with profound wonder.

"I lost a maid because you," The empress said as a reminder, lifting a brow in the process. Apparently she wasn't pleased to answer the foolish question.

"Weren't her highness the one killing the maid?"

"What are you talking about?" The empress said innocently. Someone might think she was a cornered rabbit and Hayoon was the wolf if they heard her victimized tone.

"Why would I kill my own maid? You shouldn't spew nonsense without evidence. Have you forgotten it was his majesty who investigated this matter himself? Are you saying he fabricated the evidence?"

"I guess the only person capable of that would be his majesty. I wouldn't doubt, he would do that for the sake of saving face," Hayoon spoke boldly. Indeed, if someone was to know that the empress was bullying a helpless maid, rumors would spread far. Harming both the empress's and the emperor's reputation.

A smile cracked on the face of the Empress. She wondered if Hayoon had lost her mind to come out this provocative. Or was this Han's work? Did he send his maid to declare war against her? The woman walked up to Hayoon, offering her intense glare as if that would intimate her opponent.