Chapter Thirteen

"That is... surprisingly logical." Ent gave Nalu's plan an approving nod. Well, that was a relief. If Ent agreed, it probably meant she wasn't doing something rash that would get them all killed.

"We're all so proud of you," Granite said in a condescending tone, his eyes twinkling.

Eyes narrowed, Nalu grabbed the mop that lay on the ground next to her and spun it quickly at his legs, dropping Granite to the deck with a satisfying thud. Within the span of another second, she had a glittering knife to his throat. She smirked with satisfaction at the paleness of his skin and the fear in his eyes, though he tried to disguise both.

"Do not," she purred dangerously, "speak about me like that again. Is that clear? I would hate to have to gut one of my crew members so early into our voyage." The rest of the crew had gone silent as they watched, tension so thick that Nalu could practically feel it. Nalu's muscles quivered slightly at the exertion, but she forced them into submission. Showing strength to her crew was necessary. She had been too lenient up until now.

"Crystal clear, Captain." Granite fought to swallow, but the knife hindered any movement he could make.

"Good." Nalu rose, tensing her legs against the slight tremble that ran through them. "Now, we're headed west to Kuron. Ent, please take the wheel while Makani rests. Zabwei, please look over our equipment and bring me back a report on what we have and what we possibly might need. And Granite, please make yourself useful and get in the crow's nest. I need eyes on the horizon. If one tophat tried to kill me, that means there are probably more." Nalu froze as siren magic slipped into her tone, and she watched helplessly as everyone nodded in bland unison.

Shikes, she really needed to get this under control. If this didn't stop, she'd probably start trying to steal their souls or something. A slight shudder swept unbidden down her spine at the content, glazed-over look in their eyes. It just so happened that she valued her humanity and this really felt like she was losing it.

As they all moved to do her bidding, Nalu leaned heavily against the railing. Even the salty brine of the sea did little to alleviate her weariness. This was nothing like being first mate on her father's ship. She could always just turn the authority over to him, but not now. Any mistakes she made were entirely hers to fix.

Hand clasped tightly over the rail, she noticed that the scars ran down her arm too. This wasn't her first time seeing scars, but this time her heart clenched at the sight of them. They were a permanent reminder of everything that was wrong with her. She hadn't asked to be a shiking siren! Growling low in her throat, she pounded the wood, reveling in the dull throb that went up her arm. Pain was human, right? Besides, it was helping her focus.

Tears burned traitorously behind her eyes, reminding her of her weakness. Captains didn't cry. Not when their father's got ripped away from them in just a moment's time, not when their father's killer was now onboard their crew, and certainly not when they've died over and over and yet the pain still wouldn't stop ripping a hole in their chest. Taking a shuddering breath, she forced it all back down, locking it away in a neat little chest in her mind.

Captains didn't cry.

Lifting her head and brushing aside stray tears, Nalu clenched her jaw. They would go to Kuron, they would find a siren-hunter, they would find her mother, and then she'd do what she did best--plunder the high seas until she was the wealthiest pirate around or lay beneath the blinding, blue waves.

***

Kuron was a good deal smaller than Nalu remembered. Granted, the last time she had been there was when she was a small child, but it still worried her. Perhaps there would be no siren-hunters. She shook her head, hand resting protectively over her sword. It did not help to think so negatively.