Chapter Six

"This is completely insane." Makani pushed back his chair, running an anxious hand through his hair. "You died?"

Always the more logical of the two, it made sense that he wouldn't know how to handle it. To be fair, it would probably surprise her if anyone reacted calmly to being told that someone had come back to life.

"Yes, Makani, we've already discussed this. I thought you'd be more surprised by the fact that I'm a Siren." She rolled her eyes and pointed to her drying blue hair. "Now it all makes sense."

"Please, that's the least shocking thing you've told me yet. Blue hair, amazing swimmer, highly persuasive, weird memories of our mother..." He waved a hand dismissively. "I will say I'm surprised, but finding out you're immortal is a tad more shocking. I always thought you'd die doing something stupid."

"Well, I kind of did die doing something stupid. I just happened to not die entirely." Nalu cracked a grin. It was so good to have Makani back.

His eyes became serious as he leaned forward. "Why did you never try to find me though? It's been three months since the ship burned and we lost everything. I've spent every moment of that building a rapport of being a trustworthy advisor to many important investors. I've scoured every bar fight, tracked down every skilled, feisty woman..." His voice trailed, unshed tears shining in his eyes.

Guilt flooded Nalu. Shikes, he'd been so worried. "I'm sorry."

"That's all you've got?" he demanded, rising so quickly he toppled his chair. "Do you just not care about me? Every day I wondered if maybe I was just chasing a false hope. I've lost countless nights of sleep worrying for your safety. Were you hurt? Captured? I sure didn't know! And all I get is a measly apology." He snorted in disgust. "Don't bother trying to explain. I get it. I'll just leave you alone then."

Curse the gods, she'd really messed up. "Makani! Wait!" She grabbed his arm and dragged him back. "You're right, I should have gone to find you. But I was scared. Everyone hates Sirens, even you. I didn't want you to hate me." It really sounded like such a pathetic excuse, and it was. But it was true.

She rambled on before he could argue, "I know you're angry with me. You're right, I'm not the best at acting like I care about things. It's just easier to act like everything is a game or a joke than to be real with yourself. I'm bad at vulnerability. Just... don't leave. I want you to stay."

Arms went around her, pulling her into a tight embrace. Makani said nothing, but he didn't need to. Nalu rested against him, letting her body relax. "Thank you," she whispered. It was nice to realize she wasn't alone and didn't have to be. Makani would always be there.

"No problem, little sister." Pulling away, Nalu caught the grin on his face.

"Oh, now you're asking for it, Makky."

"I thought we agreed to never use those, huh?" He folded his arms and she jealously admired his biceps. Shikes, how did he look so strong? She worked hard just to appear remotely fit.

"I could beat you in an arm wrestle," she said randomly, her brain taking a moment to catch up with her mouth. Seeing his questioning look, she explained, "The sea makes me incredibly strong. So I could finally beat you."

He laughed and shook his head, his long, curly locks rippling about. Why did he have to have all the good looks? At least she was the cool half-Siren one. "I highly doubt you could beat me, but one day I'll challenge you, just to shut you up about it. But now that we know we don't have the same mothers... have you found yours?"

Anger took hold inside Nalu as she frowned. All her memories of a blue-haired woman with eyes like the sea were true, it seemed, which meant her mother had visited her before. Nalu was too furious with the creature for abandoning her and her father. Were Sirens truly that cruel?