Chapter Two

"You what?" Her father yelled, the vein in his neck looking oddly like a saltworm. The more she thought about it, the more it did. How it was a pulsing red, a warning that it was highly dangerous...

"Nalu, did you hear a single word I said?" His voice had become dangerously calm, so she glanced up into his eyes. Now wasn't the time to fool around.

"No, sorry. I mean yes, we did kill one of your competitors and blame in on his bodyguard. I was saying no to the fact that I didn't hear a word you said after that." She smiled sweetly and glanced at Makani who just shook his head. Who was he to judge her? He might be the good child of the two, but if you were to put a weapon in his hand, he'd probably injure himself.

Her father put his face in his hands, absently stroking his beard. "Nalu, Nalu... my blue-haired bandit. Always the warrior of the two, but you lack subtlety!"

Makani choked on his ale behind her, no doubt stifling a laugh. Resentment built up inside her. She had tried her father's way but knew it wouldn't have worked. So she took matters into her own hands. That wasn't so wrong, was it?

At her brother's interruption, her father frowned. "And don't think I'm not upset with you either. You're supposed to be the level-headed one out of us three! I can trust Nalu to always create a scene, but you're supposed to be the one who keeps things peaceful."

"Oh no." Makani shook his head firmly, coming to stand next to them. "I'm the youngest here. For Teine's sake, I'm only eighteen! Nalu is older by two years and you, Papa, are older by twenty-six! Why am I required to be the sensible one?"

Nalu cracked a grin and jabbed him in the ribs. "That's because you refuse to be the fun one." His glare didn't phase her in the slightest--it was like a Zep trying to act angry.

"Please try and be mature about this. This is a serious matter." Her father's tone had turned gentle, which was a very bad sign. Nalu grew quiet, knowing that the time for teasing had past. Now there will be distrust and chaos, which we can't afford at the moment. If one of our enemies were to attack us now, we'd be helpless to defend against them." His eyes hardened in desperation, and he pounded a fist on his desk. "Shikes, Nalu, this could put us under! If we don't bring in a good haul in the next few weeks, we'll lose everything."

It was like everything froze and only the constant pound of her heart could be heard. They might go under? She had no idea it was that bad. Her father rarely shared details like that with her, but maybe if she hadn't killed Zak...

Curse the gods, she'd really messed up this time. "What if we find Lautner's loot?" The treasure was more legend than fact; a fairytale for the dreamer and the desperate alike. But they might just be desperate enough.

"Lautner's loot?" Makani snorted. "Yes, the fabled treasure left behind by a legendary pirate who died fifty years ago. Excellent idea, Nalu. It's a wonder you aren't captain."

She glared at him. "I have a plan, okay? So shut it. There are a few of Lautner's original crew still drifting in and out of Uise's pubs--I've seen them by the Wiggling Wyrm recently. Let me talk to them. I'm sure I can persuade them into telling me something they've never spilled to anyone else before. We haven't got much else to lose, right?" Nalu pled silently with her eyes, needing this opportunity to redeem herself.

Her father stroked his chin thoughtfully, the grey hairs in it more prominent than Nalu had realized. He's getting old. The thought was unwelcome, dread building up in her chest, though she tried to ignore it. Forty-four wasn't that old, normally, but living life the way her father did... maybe he was aging fast. The thought of losing her only parent left was too much.