Chapter Eight

"I really hate your ideas. I hope you do understand that." Makani glanced from Nalu's face to the shackles and back to her face again. "Your brilliant idea is to hire criminals?"

To be fair, it hadn't seemed that stupid when the idea had first come to her. There was no way she'd admit any doubts to him, though.

"It is true, the odds of success are not favorable, but it seems like a necessary gamble considering that--while we're well-off for supplies and weaponry--we have very little gold, silver, or even copper," Ent said.

Why did they both have to be so logical? Nalu could barely stand one know-it-all, and now she had two. At least Ent was actually taking her side. That was a surprise, and something she could hold over Makani. She almost smiled at the Sorian before realizing the implications. No, she and Ent were not friends. She was never going to forgive her. It didn't matter that she trying to make amends--it meant nothing at all.

The anger and loathing were easy to rekindle--something Nalu took comfort in. "Exactly. We can't afford those who aren't desperate. You were the one who wanted me to find my mother. Remember, Makani? So far everything has gone well enough."

Except for Papa's death, the entire crew's death, her own death, the ship being destroyed...

The slump in his shoulders indicated her victory. "I did say we should, but is this all worth it?"

A few days ago, no, it wouldn't have been. But as much as she'd love to ignore it, there was a spark of hope she couldn't deny. She wanted her mother, even if it was only to scream in her face about abandoning her. Even if it was only to rip apart her heart all over again at losing a parent for the third time in her life.

Closure. That's what she wanted. Closure she hadn't even known she needed.

"Yes, it's worth it. I promise if it gets too dangerous, I'll let it go and we can sail away to Talamh where we'll live out the rest of our days in peace. You reading books and writing poetry, while I'll find some way to amuse myself." It sounded like a nightmare. The thought of living out a peaceful and quiet life was terrifyingly boring.

"You mean the rest of my days," Makani interjected. Panic rose up in Nalu and she glared fiercely at him. What in Kolas was he doing?!

"I mean, you'd never settle for a quiet life. You're born to sail the seas. That's what I meant." His eyes darted quickly to Ent before settling on the ground. Nalu relaxed slightly, anger and panic still welling up inside of her. She didn't want anyone to know what she was, and she certainly didn't want people to know she couldn't die.

"You're right, I wouldn't be able to stand it. But come on, we're wasting time." It had been difficult enough trying to get The Bountiful to the port of Marks with just the three of them, an obvious indicator that they needed a larger crew. Her boots clunked in a satisfying way against the worn wooden slats of the dock and inspected the loud, bustling buildings.

Marks was a city that made up for quality in quantity. It was packed full of beings of every species and occupation. It was one of the few places in Uise where one could find a Wyvern. The smell was horrendous, though. Cleanliness was not of importance in Marks.

"Will we be inspecting the prisons themselves? Or scouring the streets and alleys for the homeless and vagrants?" Ent examined everyone as they walked by her and they all moved to avoid her, wisely.

"Let's not use terms like that. Yes, they might be technically correct, but I doubt they'll appreciate it." As they walked, Nalu kept an eye out for all those who were being crafty, though not necessarily illegal. She didn't need to have a run-in with any constables.