one

All Jisoo wanted was to escape with her best friend. With no parents and one non-relative guardian, she came up with a plan - one that's probably the worst plan she can ever come up with.

1. Leave the house with Lisa.

2. Run away through the highway.

3. Pray to the gods that someone good will take pity on them and let them live with them.

Seeing that they're located in the outskirts of a town in New York city, the two are not really sure if there are still cars loitering around the vicinity. But with fingers crossed, Jisoo believed that at least somebody will save them from whatever will happen to them when they leave town.

"Jisoo!" Her Aunt Marie yelled from the patio

Jisoo, who was in the living room with Lisa, was planning for their escape in this shithole she calls home for the past 6 years. Now that Jisoo's already 16, and Lisa being 15 with a father that's been indifferent for the past two years, she's decided that they should already find another place to live.

"Jisoo!!" Aunt Marie yelled once again, this time, she already went to her living room to see if the teen was there.

"Auntie Marie, do you need something?" Lisa politely asked Aunt Marie, a trusted friend Jisoo's mother had when she was in college

"What's with the two of you? I thought I'd already told you to cook dinner for me and John." She said, her nostrils flaring as she looks at the teens

John Manoban, Lisa's father, had become Aunt Marie's boyfriend for two years now. After her dad's well-known cake bakery business went downhill, John and Marie have been closer than ever, with Marie being John's shoulder to lean on. To Lisa's luck, even though she can't smell the sweet, delicious scent her dad's bakery once smelled, she's still happy that her dad fell in love with Jisoo's aunt; the older girl was her best friend since Jisoo found her crying at the only park in their town, when she was bullied by her classmates because she doesn't have her own mother.

When Jisoo was a 10 year old, her mother left her in New York with Aunt Marie, who her mom met when they were in college. She was nice to her at first, but ever since Yejin, Jisoo's mom, left and told them that she'll just have to finish something back in Korea, the old woman didn't treat her like a little girl she was. Jisoo can only describe Aunt Marie as a smoker - the pungent smell always hurts her nose that she can't take it any longer. She kept on asking her mom why she chose to live with Aunt Marie, and not at her other friends who weren't smokers - to which her mom just replied as it's for the better.

Now, Jisoo fears that she and Lisa might get lung cancer sooner or later, or just probably die because of how lazy and inconsiderate her Aunt is, since the woman always asks her to do the house chores while she smokes outside their house and occasionally doesn't give her food to eat. How she doesn't get lung cancer or any karma, Jisoo has no idea.

"What are you still doing here? It's dinner already. Go cook something!"

Jisoo looked at her Aunt intently before answering, "I already did, Aunt Marie."

"Then why didn't one of you call us, you brats!" the old woman shouted, "Ever since you've been living with me, Jisoo, I couldn't get any peace inside this house. Just when is your mother going to get you?!"

"But we did call you.." Lisa whispered

"Just what are you whispering about?" she asked and no one dared to answer her, "Keeping secrets from me, huh? Then no dinner for you."

Jisoo stood up from her seat, ready to bicker with the old woman but decided against it and just waited as the old woman walked towards her patio to call her dear boyfriend.