14 | always one step behind

Start from the beginning

"What's up?" I asked, opening my locker.

"Some of the guys and I are going out to eat, you wanna come?" Savien asked, cheerfully. "A celebration lunch!"

I shook my head, I was planning on just going home and formulating ideas on how to destroy Tao. This little game had taken over my free time, and everything thought I had somehow correlated to what she had in store for me next.

"Oh come on! It's not like you have anything better to do," Savien groaned. "No offense."

"I have planning to do," I commented, putting my books in my backpack.

"Okay, boring," She mumbled, running a hand threw her hair. "What is there left to plan? We won, end of the story. What else can Tao do to save her reputation? You need to let yourself go. Stop thinking so much."

"No, that's everyone else's job. My job is to make sure everything goes right so the people I promised wouldn't get hurt don't."

"People, you promised?" She pushed, nudging my shoulder. "Who's 'people'?"

I shook my head again, frowning. I couldn't 'let myself go'. If I did Tao would be one step ahead of me, again. I can't let that happen. You can't take a break in the middle of a battlefield, can you? "So maybe I didn't promise anyone anything directly. But the point of all of this, the point of ruining Tao was so everyone else would be okay."

"Everyone?"

"You, Reece, Luca..."

"Isaia...Ace, Cajes, Sonny," She continued, leaning her head on the locker next to us.

"Sure, them too I guess," She was right though. I started this, so I have to finish it. And until it's finished I can't rest.

"Then maybe... maybe we can plan. After lunch, you and I and whoever you want can go back to my house and plot. But just please come today! You need the comfort, don't say you don't," Before I could say anything else, she continued. "Doesn't it get tiring also being in your own head?"

She was right. But as much begging as Savien was going to do, I still needed to be on my toes. What if Tao was to follow me? What if she already put a bug on my backpack or something? I wouldn't exactly be surprised, but still. I needed that extra security, that sense that no matter what she does I'll be expecting it. I can't do that if I'm not careful, watching her every move, knowing her every move.

"And plus... I don't want to be the only girl there," She grumbled. "You don't even have to talk to anyone! You can just sit there and sulk and plan in your head with your headphones in. Just come, pleasee?"

Closing my locker, I looked at Savien. I still was going to say no. And it was for her own sake too. But maybe... maybe I could use this. Maybe this could be my opportunity to get closer to the guys. Maybe they'd even help me, tell me some stuff about Tao's plans. Maybe I could... use them.

God, I hated thinking like that.

But I didn't save their reputation for nothing. Everything I did involving the A-listers had benefitted me in some way. How else would I have came out on top? Just as I said before, I couldn't risk having friends. Involving Reece, Savien, and Luca was already dangerous as fuck because now they're just as much as an enemy to Tao as I am.