Chapter 3: Archer

Start from the beginning

At the end of the day, Murakami is the closest thing Destiny has ever gotten to having a family, despite how their relationship has more of a mentor and student dynamic. He did teach her how to cook a thing or two, just in case.

Murakami places a steaming mug in front of Destiny. She pushes herself off her resting surface, the fruity scent of the tea already serving to make her feel a little less sick.

He leans against the counter, resting his hand on his chin. "So...green alien men?" he repeats, amusement evident in his tone.

She nods, taking a tiny sip of the tea and wincing as it scalds the tip of her tongue. "Alien turtle men, that were green...and muscular," she mumbles, staring into the cup.

He laughs softly. "Destiny-chan, those were not aliens." She gazes up at him, lips parting as her eyebrows lift. "They were the ninja turtles, mutants whom have saved my life many times."

"You know them?" she nearly chokes. He chuckles at her reaction, making her cheeks flush as she takes a less hot sip of tea.

He nods. "They are very honourable young..." He stops to decide his next word, but smiles and shrugs. "...men. They have helped me with the Purple Dragons."

Destiny's free hand curls into a fist and her teeth grit when she hears the familiar name, but she shakes it off in lieu of another sip of tea. The Dragons aren't her concern right now, nor are they ever. She just happens to know of their reputation around here, next to having witnessed some of their crimes in person.

"So...these turtles aren't going to turn me in?" she whispers, unable to bring her head up to meet Murakami's blinded gaze.

"Completely," he replies. She remains silent, taking a gulp of tea and breathing out as the warmth floods her throat. After a moment, Murakami continues, "In fact, they could help you."

"I don't need help," she mumbles against the lip of the cup. "I've gone this far by myself, I can go my whole life like that."

She sets the cup down and stands up, but doesn't take any steps towards the door or anywhere else. The blind man's face softens as he straightens up.

"You would not be here if it weren't for others, Destiny-chan," he says, tone soft. "You would not have escaped the Kraang if it weren't for another's help. You would not have survived that rainy night where a stranger saved you from that dark shadow baring down on you. You would not have lived past two years old if it weren't for that old woman—"

"Three people that I can hardly remember," she snaps. She stops herself as Murakami frowns. When she speaks again, she softens her tone, "I...I know I haven't done things completely alone my entire life, but...that's how I do it now, and the past doesn't matter." She turns her head away, pressing her lips together.

Murakami thinks over her words. A smile that has seen many more years than her graces his round face. "The past isn't something you should brush off so quickly, for it's the events of the past that have made you who you are."

"A past that I can't remember? My entire life before seven years old is...a painting that's been ruined by water. The colours have blurred, faces are unrecognizable, and I can't tell friend from foe." She tilts her face up to the ceiling, squinting at the light for a moment. "Metaphorically, of course."

"You may not remember, but that doesn't mean that it didn't happen."

Destiny's head lowers, the streak of black hair in her bangs drifting across her face with the movement. She sighs out, hooking her thumbs in the loops of her tattered jeans as she pivots to look at Murakami again.