Chapter 14

Zayn's POV

We were sitting in the recording studio, and Niall was currently recording his voice for a few songs.

I looked over at Louis and Harry. Louis was sitting normally on a sofa, but Harry was sprawled across it with his head in Louis's lap.

Liam was smiling faintly at them. I knew he was pleased that they were getting along, and quite well for that matter.

Louis laughed suddenly at something Harry said.

It was such a foreign sound. Louis never laughed anymore, unless it was during an interview, and then it was strained and forced. But this was genuine. Even I felt a small smile play on my lips.

How was Harry doing this? How was he bringing the old Louis back? The other day they had gotten to a radio interview early, hid, and jumped out and attacked us with Nerf guns.

A few weeks ago, Louis would have probably sneered and walked away from it. Or made fun of how silly and immature it was, when in reality, he had always been the most childish of the group.

But I had my doubts, which I knew nobody shared.

The sudden friendship between Harry and Louis had been so sudden and quick. I was skeptical on the authenticity of it.

Even if Harry thought it was real and Louis was just playing with him, I wasn't sure. If that was the case, Louis would be in a huge amount of trouble with all of us for using Harry like that.

I could see that Harry really liked Louis. He grinned every time Louis said anything, even if it wasn't funny, and was always by his side. I knew Harry wasn't the best actor and if he was faking the friendship, he wouldn't be able to pull it off for this long.

I doubted Louis would be able to either. But he was always full of surprises. I had seen the coldest, harshest parts of him and I knew that he was capable of hurting people.

Thud.

"What the hell, Lou?" Harry yelped. From the looks of it, Louis had dumped him off of his lap.

"My legs were falling asleep from your fat head," Louis said simply.

Harry stuck his tongue out and climbed back up onto the sofa. Then he ran his hands through his curly hair and fixing it.

Niall came out of the recording booth. Harry stood up to take his place.

We all listened quietly as Harry started to sing the chorus of one of our songs. He had an amazing voice. He could hit the low notes but he could go pretty high if he wanted to, and it was husky but clear.

Suddenly, his phone rang. Louis picked it up and answered it as if it were his own.

"Hello?" he asked, "Yeah, it's Louis, Harry's recording. Oh. Yeah, I'll get him, love. Hold on."

He stood up and walked into the little room Harry was in and handed him the phone.

"It's Becca," Louis said quietly.

Harry mouthed something and Louis nodded, looking sad. Harry immediately grabbed the phone. He paced back and forth and Louis came out.

"What's she want?" I asked, eager to know.

"Her dad was diagnosed with a brain tumor a little less than a week ago. His surgery was today and from the sound of her voice, he didn't make it," Louis mumbled.

I could tell pretty easily that talking about death made him uncomfortable, especially death regarding brain tumors.

Harry finished talking and came out.