Issac looked at Matty and Bill.

"Is she always like this?"

The two nodded.

"Actually," Matty added, "she seems to be on her best behaviour today."

"This is her best behaviour?" Issac laughed.

"I would mot like to be in the presence of her at her worst."

Nanny Dove went back to rocking and knitting.

"Youse ass'oles bes as funny as 'emorrhoids. Da whole lot of youse."

"So what happened next?"

"Well, Matty, I decided that it was time to talk to Captain Landers. Not only to find out why he was hugging the coastline, but to inquire as to why we had not seen him at all since leaving St. Johns."

Bill was a little confused.

"But wouldn't he be following the original travel route, as you gave to the Cartwell Merchant Company? If that were true, then the hugging of the shoreline should not have raised any questions."

"Very observant William, but I failed to mention that once I was aware that we were going to the port of St. John's, I spoke to Captain Fredricks and informed him of our plan to continue to Boston, rather than homestead in a large bay, Founded by Captain James Cook, along the west coast of the New Found Land."

"Bay of Islands?" Bill wondered aloud.

Issac nodded. 

"I believe that is what the ended up naming it. The town of Corner Brook is there now, as I have heard. It may have been a different name if we had indeed ventured up the bay and settled there."

"Mights 'ave been a bitter plan den what 'appened," Nanny Dove sputtered.

"Least it bes a lot more protected den dis place ever were."

"I have to agree with you Matilda, but unfortunately fate did not dictate such."

Issac put his pipe in his jacket pocket and began to pace, as he continued.

"So, as I was saying, I was a little concerned that we were staying close to the shoreline. The south-east shoreline is very rugged and prone to weather changes very quickly, so the threat of being washed upon the rocks was a very real one.

When I was allowed entry to the Captain's quarters, I was shocked. Captain Landers and his immediate staff were sitting around the cabin, obviously drunk. This was discerning enough, but what was even more unusual was the fact that a mere deckhand, a scruffy, smelly man by the name of Webster was sitting in the Captain's chair and, by all accounts, seemed to be the leader of the group of sailors.

I addressed my concerns to the so called Captain Landers, but it was Webster who spoke.

He informed me that there had been a change of plan and that he was indeed taking us to what we knew as Captain Cook's Bay, as was the original plan. There, we would be put to shore and left to our own accord.

Well, needless to say, I was a little more than put off by such an idea and I strongly disagreed with the change in plans. I informed him that I would be lodging a formal complaint to the Cartwell Merchant Company, as soon as I could, to which Webster laughed and replied ...

'Jest where does you expect to be finding a company representative in the wilds of the New Found Land?'

He and the others found that terrible amusing.

I then did a very stupid thing."

Nanny Dove laughed.

"Did youse threaten 'e?"

Issac stopped pacing and stared at Nanny Dove, sighing.

"Youse did? Youse idiot."

She laughed even harder.

"Youse threatened sailors on da 'igh sea. Youse? A farmer?"

Issac walked back to us.

"It was not my finest moment, I admit."

"What did you say to them?" Bill wondered.

Issac sighed.

"I told him that if my request remained unattended, as Elder of the County of Tuckamore, I would have to assume control and Captaincy of the Emily Rose."

Nanny Dove was nearly in hysterics.

"Youse couldn't possibly been dat stupid?"