Kath sacrificed so much for me and I…I felt a dull ache in my heart and I clutched it. Kath…thoughts about you hurt me because I couldn’t stop you. You left me like the coward you were.

I walked past the parking lot and noticed Ayo’s car was still parked here. I furrowed my brows confused and approached it. What is he still doing here? I looked through the window and Ayo opened it. “What are you doing here?” I asked irritated.

“I waited, I felt like waiting for you so here I am” Ayo said innocently. I glowered at him but said nothing and entered the car. “Let’s go” I said impassively. Ayo started the car and began to drive away. Ayo looked at me and asked, “what happened? You look gloomier than normal”.

“Sandra and I broke up” I answered monotonously.

“What? Wow, well, it was slightly expected” Ayo shrugged. I glared at him but he ignored me. I frowned and looked ahead.

“but what exactly is the problem?”.

“She said that I don’t love her anymore and I love Kath”.

Ayo looked oddly calm, “do you?”. I began to think but I shook my head in denial. “No, I don’t love her, I can’t love her” I gripped the sides of my head in frustration.

“So you are in denial”.

“why are you so calm about this?!” I snapped, glaring at him. “instead of helping me figure it out, you are just nodding your head as if you know it all”.

Ayo looked at me impassively, “what do you want me to say? Only you can decide what you want and how you feel. I can’t help you with that so if you are feeling confused, go sort yourself out”. I glared at him and crossed my arms and frowned angrily. Despite my expression, I was relieved because that lecture helped me keep calm.

Whether it be a calm advice or a hotheaded one, Ayo knows how to help. He is a good friend. We arrived home and I stepped out of the car. Mom came to greet me. “How was your outing Dave?” mom asked eagerly.

“Fine” I answered absentmindedly, “mom, I am going to bed. Please don’t disturb me”. I walked past her and ignored her worried questions. I heard Ayo tell everything to her before I entered my room.

I shut the door and removed my shirt and trousers. I dropped on the bed and laid there, letting my mind drift to the party two months ago.

• Two Months Earlier •

“how could you Dave?!” Sandra yelled in tears. She stared at the two guilty looking culprits in front of her. Her eyes darted to Kath and she glared at her. She stepped to Katherine and slapped her across the face.

“Sand–“ Dave was displeased with Sandra’s act. You can hurt him all you want but keep Kath out of this. Sandra cut him off. She spoke angrily, “you want to defend her right, defend her! Cheater!”.

“Sandra, i–“ Dave felt remorse. He took Sandra’s hand but she pulled it away.

“Don’t you dare, if not for Kyle I would have never found out” Sandra said. Dave could not help but throw a deadly glare at Kyle who smirked smugly. “I trusted you, you were my best friend, the one who understood me. The…” Sandra broke into sobs, “I should have expected it the second I met Kath...if you didn't want me to be your girlfriend, why didn't you tell me? At least I wouldn't be hopeful”.

“No Sandra, I still want you as my girlfriend, I love you” Dave said panicked, “I just, Kath and i…”. Dave didn’t know how to explain. Nothing he said would be believed.