✭ chapter 61

song for chapter: my body is a cage by arcade fire + play on repeat!!

claire's pov

-prom (part 2)-

the entire time we were all out and on the dance floor, the only thing i could focus on were stares from liz.

i don't understand why she won't just leave me alone, and every time she looked at me she had some dumb little smirk on her face.

"yo," ethan says, coming back from the bathroom and over to the table as jack and cameron turn to look at him, "here, take it," ethan says as he sits back down, sliding the flask under the table for cameron to pass to jack.

i roll my eyes at the boys. god, i'm scared for what's gonna happen when they all go to college.

before i can make a joke regarding the boys and the small flask that they were treating like it was their prized possession, i hear the dj start to play a slow song.

i look over to the dance floor to see all of the couples who were now slow dancing. it's funny, because at the beginning of this year, i hated this kind of shit.

i had no desire to be in a commitment filled relationship, and wanted no sort of mature and romantic lovey dovey type story.

and then i met ethan.

but it wasn't just meeting him that instantly flipped a switch in my brain, because my intentions with him weren't true and i told myself that he was nothing more than a senior boy who i was physically attracted to, it was getting to know him that changed my whole point of view.

that's something that i didn't think anyone was capable of doing, let alone a boy.

i've never had much real experience with guys before, and it's crazy looking back at the girl i was when i first met ethan and seeing how different she was then how i am now.

same with ethan, too– he was even more of a changed person.

never would i have ever thought that ethan and i would be here at the point we're at now, but life has a crazy way of throwing things at you when you least expect it.

ethan then gets up from his seat, leaving me confused, until he reaches his hand out for me to grab onto, "will you dance with me?" he says in a gentle voice, but with one of those small playful smiles on his face that make my heart swoon.

"of course," i say with a giggle, grabbing onto his hand as he pulls me up and out of my chair, walking me over to the dance floor into the crowd of dancing couples.

his hands go to rest at my hips and my arms go to wrap around his neck instinctively.

we danced slowly to the beat of the music, looking into each other's eyes as if it was the last time we'd ever see each other.

"you look so beautiful," he says repeating the four exact words he had told me at pictures with a soft smile, and it's like everything inside of me in that instant just melted from his words.

"thank you," i say as i can't help the smile that grows onto my face and the blush that creeps up alongside with it, making me appear so vulnerable in front of him.

for some reason, this moment feels different than any other moment i've ever shared with ethan.

it's almost like the realization of this whole thing we have between us, our relationship, has just finally hit me in a harder way than it ever has before.