✭ chapter 37

song for chapter: dangerous woman by ariana grande + play on repeat!!

claire's pov

"we say team you say spirit! team!"

"spirit!" the many kids scream back to us cheerleaders as we cheer on our football team by hyping up our student section.

drum line comes over and starts to play a familiar beat that all of us cheerleaders know, as we all have assigned choreography to each piece drum line plays.

i smile nice and wide as i move my hips in the movement of the familiar choreography that we've rehearsed countless times.

i see jade, maddie, and hannah waving at me from the student section and i make direct eye contact with them while performing so they know that i see them.

once drum line finishes, the squad and i turn around to face the field, now leaving our backs to the student section.

it's the end of the fourth quarter and we're winning by ten points. i shake my poms as i cheer for the boys and suddenly, my eyes catch sight of ethan on the field.

number twenty-three.

i try not to let the shock show on my face, my whole job as a cheerleader is to cheer. even if it hurts, at the end of the day i'm the one who's supposed to be cheering for him.

i see ethan get a hold of the ball and runs swiftly through our opponent's players. as he makes it down the field towards the end zone, he passes each yardline up one by one.

30.
20.
10.

i see our guys tackle any opposing players from the other school who dared to have a shot at possibly taking down ethan, leaving ethan a steady open distance in front of him due to his teammates help.

my eyes feel as if they're going to pop out of my head seeing that ethan is most definitely about to score. at this point, the touchdown is practically being handed to him due to his fast running and lack of defense from the other team.

i hear the girls surrounding me start to yell extra loud the closer he gets to the end zone, which gets me to tune back into cheer mode.

ethan passes the very last yardline and into the end zone and pounds his chest, earning erupt screams from the student section due to the touchdown our school just got.

he runs over to his coach after the play and his coach slaps his helmet in appreciation for his good work.

"touchdown for westway high school by ethan dolan!" the speaker announces over the intercom.

the student section starts to get even crazier from behind me, all of us aware that our school is going to win the game.

i see ethan giving someone a handshake, most likely grayson, and returning back to his position on the field.

i shake my poms together and force a smile to form on my face, uneasy with the fact that i just watched ethan score the last touchdown of the game.

there's only forty-five seconds left, so many people start clearing out since we're points ahead of the other team, ensuring our win.