✭ chapter 35

song for chapter: josslyn - demo by olivia o'brien + play on repeat!!

ethan's pov

"so what's up with you and your illegal girlfriend?" cameron says, instigating.

i roll my eyes, annoyed at his comment, "not now, cam."

i clench my jaw and look around at the students in front of me. every morning before the bell rings, jack, cameron, grayson and i meet up by the main entrance of the school outside.

we all talk and hang out in a circle here before going to class, like most other friend groups do at this school.

jack's mouth widens horizontally, showing his teeth, "yikes, tough crowd."

cameron snickers at jack's comment and grayson stands there in silence.

i clench my fists out of anger and swallow, "jack, you can talk once you get over your ex."

grayson and cameron hysterically laugh at my comment, finding it amusingly funny.

grayson claps his hands while laughing, "shit, he got you there."

jack stands there looking embarrassed and rolls his eyes while looking away from us.

jack and his girlfriend of two years broke up during summer and since then he's still never gotten over her. jack has been the only one out of our group to be in a relationship, the rest of us only fuck around with girls.

well- i guess, not anymore, really.

since claire, i haven't been interested in hooking up with girls like i was before. it sounds stupid i know, but i feel like she's changed me.

i don't want to admit it or even say it out loud, though. some freshman girl being able to change me, ethan dolan's perspective, is humiliating.

the problem is she's not just some freshman girl. she's more meaningful than that to me, and that's the scariest part.

cameron's laughter dies down along with grayson and he ruffles a hand through his hair before looking back to me, "okay, but for real, though, what's going on with you and claire?"

i shrug, "i don't know where we stand yet," i say being transparent with them, "i guess i just have to wait and see."

grayson nods at my response, knowing that i'm being real with them right now.

cameron brings his hand up to his chin and furrows his eyebrows as if he's thinking, "wait," he says, pausing as his eyes widen, "have you guys-"

i shake my head, already knowing what he was going to ask.

"it's illegal," i say in a plain voice, his question having no effect on me.

jack scoffs, "since when has the law ever stopped you before?"

i shrug, "fair question."

i grab my phone and check the time, we have about three minutes to get to class.

"alright well imma get going, see you guys later," i say walking backwards towards the door then eventually turning around fully, them following not too far from behind me.

i push open the doors to the school and go to walk down the main hallway that leads to my first period. as i walk down the long hall, i see claire not too far ahead of me.

"claire!" i say instinctively, trying to gain her attention.

she turns around, confused as to who called her name. once she saw it was me, every tense muscle in her face seemed to loosen completely. her expression was instantly softened.